hELP Please - touch screen not working

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
Half of my screen when i touch it is not working when i hold the power button and i can slide the to shut it off, but when i try to slide something on the bottom i cant the bottom part is not working what do u think happen to it? let me know guys please Thanks

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
try a restore and if that doesn't work take it to Apple.....make sure its all clear of unwanted software first of course

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Hold in the home button and the power button before you restore. Could save you some trouble.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
ya good point hold the top and bottom button and wait for it to turn off then let go of top button and keep holding bottom button till it says connect to iTunes

Iwhat

May 23, 2008
wow

Hey guys SAME EXACT thing just happened to me only the top works! i was just going to post. I don't understand why only half works!

Iwhat

May 23, 2008
Also if I slide it to unlock it doesn't but sometimes it will I have to slide it just right but after I am to the main screen NOTHING on the bottom works or semi middle.

Iwhat

May 23, 2008
never said connect to iTunes.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
try connecting to your comp after it turns off it could take a few tries

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
First enter Recovery Mode. Do this by holding the Power and Home buttons simultaneously for ten seconds, and then let go of the Power button until you see a screen showing a USB cable pointing the the iTunes icon. Then connect to your computer. iTunes will tell you that you must Restore the iPhone. Do so. If the screen is still unresponsive after the Restore, take the iPhone to Apple.

- John

paintdude258

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Same thing just happened to me today, tried hard restart, tried restore, still nothing. just filed a report with Apple and replacement is on the way!

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
restore it! The exact same thing happened to my friends iPhone, he took care of his stuff and never spilled water on it nowhere!-Only difference is that his whole bottom screen was un-responsive so he couldnt "slide-to-unlock", or press the unlock keypad cause their were a 0 in the password!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
A restore is your only option. If that doesn't work, yes, exchange it under warranty. They will replace it for this.

This is a pretty common occurrence. My friend's did this, but granted he threw it to the floor. It's funny to think that all these phones go back to Apple, and they probably open it up, reconnect the ribbon connector, close it up, and send it right back out.

Wish these things were a little more user-serviceable.

Scratch that... I like the factory seal. User-serviceable = falls apart easily.

paintdude258

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
ya, i bet it probably is something small like that for mine. We will just have to wait and see! and ya im with you on that, i do wish they were serviceable but then again i don't, just like you stated haha!