Help removing apps to exchange iPhone...please

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Druhil2003

Dec 4, 2007
Hey Everyone,

First off, this site is awesome and so are all the people that submit helpful posts.

But hey, my iPhone started acting up recently (dropping every calls, randomly losing service and reseting, then having a static-ridden speaker) then then phone itself said it needs service. I want to take it in to Apple but I have 3rd party apps on it (installer etc.) so I figured I would restore it but when I try to restore I get an "unknown error".

I'm not sure what to do--I did the reset built into the phone and while it erased all my data, the 3rd party apps are still there. It's not unlocked but should I "revirginize" it using installer--will that get rid of the apps and not cause any damage?

Thank you very much for any help in advance

Druhil2003

Dec 4, 2007
Update:

I got the phone into recovery mode and plugged it in for a restore again and this time the restore was going wrll until I got to the unknown error (6). I looked this up and saw that someone else had received this same error after plugging his phone into his ipod car charger and the screen went nuts and it got warm and I remember this had happened to me too right before my phone started acting up--I just reset the phone and didn't think to blame the ipod car charger--I guess I should.

Well anyways my phone is dead now unless I plug it into the cpu which then the cpu demands a restore which it can't complete so it's a catch 22--guess I'll have to go to the Apple store tomorrow (today). I hope I don't run into any problems because I had 3rd party apps...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
If they can't turn on your phone to see the 3rd party apps you are fine. It sounds like they can't, so you should be good to go. Other people have been fine when they took theirs back and it wouldn't turn on.

Druhil2003

Dec 4, 2007
Thanks Term,

But just to make sure, if they did discover the apps they wouldn't honor my warranty even if the phone is NOT unlocked?

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
if you cant get the phone on then you should be good but if it can be turned on and see the apps then your not good because they consider that voiding the warranty which is dumb if you ask me but there rules i guess. i would try to do a restore again if you cant get it to work just bring it in as is you may get what you want at Apple some of the workers are real cool about this some are not but good luck