Help: Since 2.0 Can't Sync Calendar/Outlook 2003

aviator

Jul 21, 2008
Since I upgraded to 2.0, I can't sync with Outlook 2003 Calendar. Contacts sync fine! Prior to 2.0 upgrade all performed beautifully. Apple tech support had me create a New User Account on PC, open iTunes, open Outlook, create new appointment in calendar...then sync iPhone, all Calendar appointments moved to "new user calendar. However, my User Account some appointments sync, some do not. It's hit or miss. There appears to be an issue with my "user account" since the upgrade to 2.0. Any ideas, frustrated and on empty!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
2.0 only works with Outlook 2007 and above. This was posted earlier here today. If you can't find it, I'll link it for you.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Ok, I think I got it syncing with outlook 2003 but it’s late and I have to go to sleep. I will test it more tomorrow.
But so far I have set my iPhone calendar setting to "Calendar", the one with the red dot, and it seems to be working.

rmfnla

Bronze
I was one of those who posted about 2.0 and Outlook.

The Apple CSR told me 2.0 will sometimes sync w/ Outlook 2003 but it was designed for 2007.

Good luck with yours.

aviator

Jul 21, 2008
My Outlook 2003 sycn perfectly until 2.0. It's hit or miss with the calendar. Most of the time, it fails to sync when I enter appointments on iPhone first. The interesting point is when I create a "new user account" on the PC, it sync perfectly. There has to be an issue with my "user account". I'm lost at this point!

I was one of those who posted about 2.0 and Outlook.

The Apple CSR told me 2.0 will sometimes sync w/ Outlook 2003 but it was designed for 2007.

Good luck with yours.

aviator

Jul 21, 2008
Please assist with link. Thanks for your assistance.

2.0 only works with Outlook 2007 and above. This was posted earlier here today. If you can't find it, I'll link it for you.

aviator

Jul 21, 2008
Question: If that's true, "Outlook 2007 is required with the 2.0", then, when discussing with Apple CSR we created a "new user account" on the the PC, and all calendar sync perfectly with my Outlook 03 version.

And, assuming 2.0 is designed to work better with Outlook 2007, its obvious Apple is not going to write new code to older previous versions of MicroSoft. We then have no backward compatiblity, right?

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Ok I got my iPhone and older version of outlook to sync back and forth now.
Good old Apple and Microsoft don’t like to play nice together but it was not a problem when there was only one calendar. Now there are 3 on your phone, Home, Outlook calendar, and Calendar. Calendar (With the red dot) should be where all your original appointments were synced before the 2.0 update. If you had the same problem as me after the 2.0 update, anything you entered into the iPhone did not sync in the Calendar.

Now if you open outlook and go to the calendar, go to the top and you will see you can now select a drop-down and select any of the 3 calendars. So select the “Home” calendar as your default on your iPhone and add any new events to the “Home” calendar in outlook and there should be no problems syncing back and forth. I have made a lot of entries on both the iPhone and outlook and they have synced every time. I think it should work if you select the “Outlook calendar” as your default also but I only did a couple syncs so I don’t know for sure.

In iTunes leave the “sync all calendars” selected.

Now does anyone know how to import all the contacts from the “Calendar” to the “Home" calendar so I don’t have to do all the entries one at a time?

Attachments

rmfnla

Bronze
Ok I got my iPhone and older version of outlook to sync back and forth now.
Good old Apple and Microsoft don’t like to play nice together but it was not a problem when there was only one calendar. Now there are 3 on your phone, Home, Outlook calendar, and Calendar. Calendar (With the red dot) should be where all your original appointments were synced before the 2.0 update. If you had the same problem as me after the 2.0 update, anything you entered into the iPhone did not sync in the Calendar.

Now if you open outlook and go to the calendar, go to the top and you will see you can now select a drop-down and select any of the 3 calendars. So select the “Home” calendar as your default on your iPhone and add any new events to the “Home” calendar in outlook and there should be no problems syncing back and forth. I have made a lot of entries on both the iPhone and outlook and they have synced every time. I think it should work if you select the “Outlook calendar” as your default also but I only did a couple syncs so I don’t know for sure.

In iTunes leave the “sync all calendars” selected.

Now does anyone know how to import all the contacts from the “Calendar” to the “Home" calendar so I don’t have to do all the entries one at a time?

How did you create the Home calendar in Outlook?

Is that a specific feature or did you just open a new calendar and name it "Home"?

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
How did you create the Home calendar in Outlook?

Is that a specific feature or did you just open a new calendar and name it "Home"?
Outlook should have already made "Home" and "Outlook calendar". Look at the pic I attached, click on the arrow next to the word calendar on your outlook program and you will be able to select the different calendars.

Attachments

louveres

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Grayslake, Illinois
The picture you posted has Outlook 2000. In 2003 you don't have the option to select the 2 calendars. Do you know how to do this in Outlook 2003?

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
The picture you posted has Outlook 2000. In 2003 you don't have the option to select the 2 calendars. Do you know how to do this in Outlook 2003?
Should be the same, but I don't know. You should be able to select from the file menu.

Jul 30, 2008
I have a fix! (Maybe)

Visit http://www.dionhall.com/Forum/

I have searched and searched for hours! And i got the fix!

The above link is my site with the fix! (It has been a long day and so i may need to explain a little bit better, however it worked for me)

I could not get my iPhone to sync with outlook calendar, contacts worked just fine! Now i all works!

Hope this helps!

Edit: Photos added on how to perform the fix

drensin

Aug 31, 2008
I found a case specific fix for the Outlook - Ipod Touch (iPhone) sync problem

Okay ...
A bit of history...
I got an Ipod touch with the Macbook I got my son for college. I had Outlook 2003 installed on my Dell Laptop. I got the 7.7 version of iTunes.
Music, photos, etc synced ...BUT NOT the Outlook Contacts or Calendar.
I updated the Ipod software to the latest 2.x version.

This is when I started to go nuts because I want to get a new iPhone 3G and I can't get one if I can't sync.

I currently have a Treo 650 and use Palm Desktop. Also, Eudora for email.

I went through the usual bs, as has everyone here. Nothing worked. I updated Outlook2003 with service pack 3. Nothing. I tried to downgrade iTunes to 7.5 and 7.6 and that really screwed up my syste, ... thank goodness for backups.

Then I uninstalled everything Apple and reinstalled iTunes. (probably not necessary since it screws up playlists, etc)

And I uninstalled Outlook 2003 and put in a trial version of MS Office 2007.
(But probably could have stuck with 2003.)

Nothing.

I spent useless time on the phone with Apple and Microsoft, as they blamed each other.

But I'm obsessive so I kept combing the message boards.

Today I read that someone else who'd used Eudora figured out that Eudora (by Qualcomm) REPLACES THE Mapi.dll and Mapi32.dll files in the Windows/System32 folder with its own (and the old files are renamed mapi.000 and mapi32.000 etc. He discovered this when trying to solve an unrelated problem: he wanted to export his Outlook 2007 contacts to a .csv file and Outlook kept giving him an error message. (I was trying to do that, too.)

So ... I went to http://www.dll-files.com/ (there are other similar sites) and got the MS versions of mapi.dll and mapi32.dll, took out the Qualcomm versions (hold your cursor over the file to see who made it, or click on properties, version), put them in a temp folder, and replaced them with grade-A ms versions.

Lo and behold, I was able to export my outlook contacts to a .csv file.

Then I thought ... hmm ... maybe this is the problem with Outlook and iTunes ... maybe the bad .dll file prevent the syncing... (I should add that I could sync the Ipod with Windows Address Book ...)

So I tried it.

I'm still in awe. It worked. The contacts synced to the Ipod (and I imagine they would to the the iPhone.)

Then I tried it with the calendar, after I had used a utility to copy my Palm Desktop calendar to outlook (or you could export to a .csv and import, etc.)

That worked too!

Now ... I don't know yet if I can add to the Ipod contacts or calendar and have it sync back. I'll have to test it.

I DO know that I got the stuff over to the Ipod by clicking the box in iTunes, on the INFO tab, that forces Outlook and Calendar to replace what's on the IPod.

ALSO: and this is very important... if you do all this and then run Eudora again to check mail IT WILL ONCE AGAIN REPLACE THE MAPI AND MAPI32.DLL'S and the syncing will not work. So you'll have to re-copy the MS versions of those .dlls back to WINDOWS/SYSTEM32.

I've spent days and valuable hours reading many message boards about this problem, and I'm sure there are many iterations, and this fix may only work for Eudora users, or for anyone using programs that replace the .dlls.

You may have once used Eudora and moved on, but left their .dlls behind.

Clearly, Outlook uses these .dlls to map out the file for syncing, and if they're not standard MS, they don't work.

Finally, if you're migrating from Palm, etc to the iPhone and plan to do everything in Outlook from Contacts to Calendar to Email, you won't have to worry about constantly replacing the .dlls.

Anyway, tip of the hat mto Jim at:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ontacts/browse_thread/thread/8ababf62eb19c061
for providing the original solution and inspiration.

Hope it works for you -- and continues to work for me.

dr

drensin

Aug 31, 2008
Addendum to previous post:

Re Eurdora Mapi files:
I found that you can just go into OPTIONS on Eudora, go to Mapi
in the list, and tell Eudora to never use its Mapi servers. Now it doesn't
automatically replace the mapi.dll and mapi32.dll files.

And I've experimented with adding a contact on the IPod to see if it would sync to Outlook ... it did. And vice versa.

So far, so good. I may uninstall Outlook 2007 and try this with 2003 next

jsc

Jan 5, 2009
My Outlook 2003 sycn perfectly until 2.0. It's hit or miss with the calendar. Most of the time, it fails to sync when I enter appointments on iPhone first. The interesting point is when I create a "new user account" on the PC, it sync perfectly. There has to be an issue with my "user account". I'm lost at this point!
Finally! I've found someone who described the exact same situation as mine - including the ability to have success with a new user account! Of course, here at work I can't simply change my user account since it's connected up with the network and I don't set up my own e-mail account.

Please let me know if you find a solution. In regard to your question of JPM, my calendar is also not named "Home", but simply Calendar.

Thanks
Julie

jsc

Jan 5, 2009
Thank you, dionhall85!

I have a fix! (Maybe)

Visit http://www.dionhall.com/Forum/

I have searched and searched for hours! And i got the fix!

The above link is my site with the fix! (It has been a long day and so i may need to explain a little bit better, however it worked for me)

I could not get my iPhone to sync with outlook calendar, contacts worked just fine! Now i all works!

Hope this helps!

Edit: Photos added on how to perform the fix

This did the trick! thank you! thank you! thank you!

Jan 24, 2011
Mine does not have this option for home, calendar, etc. ONLY calendar.

I can sync from outlook 2003 calendars to iPhone 4, but if I enter in iPhone calendar it will NOT sunc to outlook 2003?

Can you help me>