Help! Speaking at a National Conference Next Month

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am speaking at a national conference next month and I am trying to make the point that sometimes it is hard for us to see what is around us for what it really is, an outside pair of eyes may be able to see something we can't. I'm trying to illustrate this through a funny cartoon, meme, etc. anyone has any examples or art to share? Of course I'd give credit to the source.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Hello everyone,

I am speaking at a national conference next month and I am trying to make the point that sometimes it is hard for us to see what is around us for what it really is, an outside pair of eyes may be able to see something we can't. I'm trying to illustrate this through a funny cartoon, meme, etc. anyone has any examples or art to share? Of course I'd give credit to the source.
This is all I have like that.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1394112327.700860.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hello everyone,

I'd show this Fargo clip.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I've used the phrase, "The fish is aware of the water last."

Analogy: Lets pretend that as I'm talking today, each of you will earn $1000 at the end of my speech if you stay to the end. But I'm removing the oxygen. After a few minutes what has your focus? The money or the air? If I talk longer than you can go with out O2 is the money important? Or is what's around you, or in this case not around you that is important.

Fish don't really know their in water until it's gone. They just swim here and there. We walk around every day and rarely worry about the oxygen in the air. We can ever swim with the fishes, but they can't walk with us.

Think on it.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I've used the phrase, "The fish is aware of the water last."

Analogy: Lets pretend that as I'm talking today, each of you will earn $1000 at the end of my speech if you stay to the end. But I'm removing the oxygen. After a few minutes what has your focus? The money or the air? If I talk longer than you can go with out O2 is the money important? Or is what's around you, or in this case not around you that is important.

Fish don't really know their in water until it's gone. They just swim here and there. We walk around every day and rarely worry about the oxygen in the air. We can ever swim with the fishes, but they can't walk with us.

Think on it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I like how Frances McDormand is the outside set of eyes for the deputy. Cute and pertinent.
Yep. I love it when presenters use media like this to make a point. It allows for a change of pace, it's a great example of what he's looking for and it would probably get most of the audience to laugh.