Help, stuck in DFU, restore not working.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Borgador

Aug 30, 2011
My Wife's iPad 2 hasn't been used it in over a year, and the battery ran down. I charged it up last night and turned it on. Nothing appeared to happen. No apple logo, nothing. On a hunch I plugged it into my computer, and sure enough iTunes popped up and said the iPad is in DFU mode and needs to be restored.
I don't remember what version of iOS it had, but iTunes wanted to install iOS 7.whatever. I said ok. It downloaded and started extracting. After a while iTunes said waiting on the iPad. The computer made a few connect and disconnect sounds. The screen on the iPad stayed totally blank. Then the apple icon popped up with a grey progress bar. The bar never starts to fill with white. I left it for a few hours and came back. Still no progress.
I made sure iTunes was up to date and restarted with a different usb port and cable. No luck.
So I tried it on my Wife's computer. No luck there either. Same thing, DFU mode, extract iOS 7, apple icon with bar, but the progress bar never starts.
I am going to leave it overnight and tomorrow during work, but I don't have high hopes.
Anyone have any suggestions?

---sent from my iPad air, using tapatalk

Borgador

Aug 30, 2011
I just restarted.
I unplugged the USB cable, which threw an unknown error 9.
Then I held the power and home button till the iPad screen turned off.
I switched the USB cable to the back of the computer and closed iTunes.
I reopened iTunes and checked for updates. No updates.
As soon as i plugged the iPad back in iTunes came up with the DFU message.
I clicked update and restore.
iTunes extracted and prepared. The compute made the disconnect and reconnect sound.
The iPad came up with the apple symbol, then a spinning wheel, then the grey progress bar. The bar never starts to fill with white. Same as before.

Also I noticed iTunes says the serial number of the iPad is N/A.

Last edited:

Borgador

Aug 30, 2011
Only avast is running. It has never interfered with a restore before. The error 9 popped up when I unplugged the iPad from the computer. I assumed it was because iTunes lost communication with the iPad

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Only avast is running. It has never interfered with a restore before. The error 9 popped up when I unplugged the iPad from the computer. I assumed it was because iTunes lost communication with the iPad
That's most likely the reason. You can set iTunes on bottom to run via wifi. I'm not sure why it won't restore the device. I've had issues before but not ones that never corrected itself.

Borgador

Aug 30, 2011
Before I left for work. I swapped back to my computer since it reboots faster (SSD). I completely uninstalled Avast and rebooted.
I grabbed yet a different 30pin USB cable. Checked for iTunes updates. None.
Plugged in the iPad, and it popped up with the DFU message.
Started the restore.
Samething. Apple with progress bar, but it never starts to fill.
I left it on and plugged into my computer. No real hope to see any progress tonight though.
I wonder if being left unused with a dead battery did something to the hardware preventing the restore?

Borgador

Aug 30, 2011
Ummm DFU is a totally black screen and you can't tell if it is even on, right? That is what the iPad looks like when not connected to iTunes trying to update and restore.