Help, stuck in DFU, restore not working.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ummm DFU is a totally black screen and you can't tell if it is even on, right? That is what the iPad looks like when not connected to iTunes trying to update and restore.
Correct.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I'm not sure if my problem is DFU mode but here goes.

I updated my 5S over the air from 8.0.2 to 8.1 without incident yesterday. About 30 minutes later I attempted the same for my iPad 2. It has never gotten past the reboot to the Apple logo. I connected it to iTunes on my MBP but it isn't recognized as connected. I tried to reboot but it seems to just do a screen cap. I let the battery run down to the "red line". The MBP started to charge it but iTunes doesn't see the iPad.

Suggestions welcomed.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm not sure if my problem is DFU mode but here goes.

I updated my 5S over the air from 8.0.2 to 8.1 without incident yesterday. About 30 minutes later I attempted the same for my iPad 2. It has never gotten past the reboot to the Apple logo. I connected it to iTunes on my MBP but it isn't recognized as connected. I tried to reboot but it seems to just do a screen cap. I let the battery run down to the "red line". The MBP started to charge it but iTunes doesn't see the iPad.

Suggestions welcomed.
If iTunes isn't recognizing the device anymore than putting it into DFU mode will then give iTunes notice that the device is in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hold both your home and lock button until it shuts off and turns back on. Let go of only the lock button. With iTunes open and the device plugged in of course before doing this, iTunes should recognize it in recovery mode.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Many thanks. iTunes is finally recognizing the iPad. iOS 8.1 is being installed. (fingers crossed) ... Oh, goodie ... only 39 hours to download the update.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Update. I let it run several times. It repeatedly gave up trying to download the update. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks

luislahud

Bronze
Jan 10, 2009
I had a similar problem before with my iPhone 4s.I had the cable logo and couldn't put my phone in DFU mode,so what I did while I had my phone with the cable logo and connected to the computer I disconnected the phone from the cable and hold the home bottom for 3 seconds then plug the phone back in and the apple logo came up and let go of the home bottom and then let iTunes do it's thing and my iPhone came back to life.

Sent using iCafe app

Apr 19, 2015
I had a similar problem before with my iPhone 4s.I had the cable logo and couldn't put my phone in DFU mode,so what I did while I had my phone with the cable logo and connected to the computer I disconnected the phone from the cable and hold the home bottom for 3 seconds then plug the phone back in and the apple logo came up and let go of the home bottom and then let iTunes do it's thing and my iPhone came back to life.
Maybe you can try for these.
1. Press down the Home and Power buttons on your iPhone until it shuts off.
2. Connect it to your computer with the USB cable.
3. Press and hold down the Home button.
4. Hold it down until iTunes says your device is entering iPhone recovery mode.
5. Now you should be able to Restore using iTunes.

Sent using iCafe app