Help stuck in reboot

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by 2k2ss, Jun 10, 2015.

1. 2k2ss

2k2ss New Member

Hi my wifes phone shows apple logo then shuts off and just keeps doing it over and over. I can get it to show connect to itunes but the phone will not show up in itunes. I tried ireboot software but since the phone wont show up it will not work. She has about 1000 pics of our son on there that we want to retrieve don't care about the phone. Thanks!!!!!!!!

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

A shot in the dark but have you tried a hard reset? If not, press and hold the power button and the home buttons until you see the Apple logo (10-15 seconds) then let go. Hope it works.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hopefully, she had automatic iCloud backup enabled on the phone (or backed it up to iTunes regularly) because this phone is going to have to be restored.

You'll need to put it in DFU mode to get iTunes to recognize it, and then you can restore it.

4. 2k2ss

2k2ss New Member

No she didn't have icloud turned on. Does any of the software that claims to recover pics after phone has been restored really work? Thanks!

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Bummer. No, those programs can't pull pictures off of a restored phone. You need a backup to recover them. iCloud is the best choice for most people since it's free and does it automatically once a day. iTunes is the other option, but you have to connect the phone to do that. It's also a good idea to sync and upload pictures to a computer every week or so in addition to backing up. That way, you never have to rely on a backup. But iCloud will back them up daily if you forget. It only includes 5 GB for free, though.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

A little ironic after posting to this thread a few days ago but my wife's iPhone 5 just started doing something similar this morning. It's totally dead unless it's plugged into a charger or the computer. First I get a battery symbol in the center of the screen for about 5 seconds then blank screen for a few seconds then the apple Logo followed by a blank screen then the whole thing keeps repeating endlessly. I managed to get the phone into DFU mode and after about an hour it finished but to no avail, it's still doing the same thing. Hard reset wouldn't work either. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar on Tuesday hope they can straighten it out otherwise it's new phone time. Ouch!! The only good thing so far is the phone was backed up about ten days ago.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's known as an infinite boot loop. It has to be restored in iTunes; hard resets won't work. Did you try restoring it after you got it in DFU mode?

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Yes, I did but following an hour restoring the phone nothing changed, it was still in the infinite boot loop.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It shouldn't take anywhere near an hour. I would try putting it in DFU mode again and starting the restore over. Did you get any errors or did it just hang?

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Didn't see any error messages but the iTunes screen advised that the restore would take 53 minutes so I walked away for about an hour while the restore process finished and when I came back it had finished and the phone's condition was the same as before. I will try putting it into DFU mode again tomorrow when I return home. This time I'll stay with it until it completes in case I missed something the first time around.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That was probably because it needed to download the large firmware file. Now that it's downloded, the restore will be much faster when you try it tomorrow. Let me know how it goes.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Will do, thanks.

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Got home and used my wife's computer to put the phone in DFU mode and restore it. I went through the whole process got to the part where the phone would be restored back to factory status and it started doing the same thing again so I guess it's off to the Genius Bar Tuesday morning.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No error codes?

15. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Yes there was an error code. I wrote it down to bring with me to the Apple Store Tuesday but I'm not at home at the moment and didn't have time to look it up before heading back out the door. Will post it when I get back home. Thank you, I really appreciate the help.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds good. Post the error code when you get a chance and I'll help you troubleshoot it.

17. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'm getting the error code 4005. The following is taken from Apple's support site:

iOS: Restore errors 4005, 4013, and 4014

When you try to update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you may see one of these messages in iTunes.

You may see one of these messages if the device unexpectedly disconnects during the update or restore or iTunes couldn't tell the device to go to the restore state.

• The iPhone [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4005).
    • The iPhone [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4013).
    • The iPhone [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4014).
    Try these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Install the latest version of iTunes.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Make sure your computer is up to date. If an update requires a restart, check for updates again after you restart.
      • Learn more about updating OS X.
      • Learn more about updating Windows.
    4. Restore using another USB cable.
    5. Restore your device on another computer.
    If you continue to see error 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your device, contact Apple for support.

I have tried items 1, 2, 4 and 5 and as far as item 3 goes, I regularly update Windows 7 every time an update is issued and that is also true of the phone's iOS and iTunes. I think I've eliminated all the possibilities other than the phone itself so I guess the trip to the Apple Store will be required. I hope it only costs an arm to get it fixed and not an arm and a leg. I will post the outcome Tuesday after I leave Apple. Thanks again Europa

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is usually a problem with iTunes on Windows. If you have access to a Mac, try restoring it on that. If you don't have access to a Mac, try repairing Apple Mobile Device on your PC.

1. Close iTunes.
    2. Disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
    3. Windows > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
    4. Select Apple Mobile Device Support and choose Repair.
    5. Connect the iPhone, open iTunes and restore.
    6. If the computer doesn't recognize it, put it in DFU mode and then restore.

19. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'll give that a try in the morning when I have a fresh un-frustrated mind. I'm beginning to wonder how much damage a .45 will do to an iPhone. Only kidding......maybe?!?!

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I hear ya. It took me over six hours to fix a 3GS once. It was so frustrating, but I had an indomitable spirit and I can't even describe the feeling when I got it working. Total triumph.