HELP! Syncing Pictures/Videos to iPhone crashes Vista32 and RAID-1 Array!

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Using latest iTunes 7.4.3.1
Computer OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit with RAID-1 (Mirror)
Apple product: iPhone

:mad: HELP! :mad:

Everytime I sync my iPhone with my computer and try to sync either PICTURES or VIDEO, it crashes my computer, reboots it, and ALSO CORRUPTS my RAID-1 Array!

During the sync, when the iPhone is "optimizing" the photo (even when trying to add ONE photo), the computer reboots.

It has corrupted the RAID-1 it 4 times already...requiring me to rebuild the RAID-1 array everytime I try to sync!

I already uninstalled iTunes/Quicktime, and reinstalled, but still have same problems. (I am able to sync music/mp3s okay though)

Does anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix this?
THANKS!

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I have partially figured out (thanks to others in the Apple Forum threads) WHY many people have problems syncing PHOTOS to their iPhones when using Vista. (possibly also with people who have RAID setup)

I was experiencing reboots during sync attempts when I had iTunes try to access my Photo folder (even with one single picture in it) from my C: drive.
For some reason- it doesn't like NTFS file system.

I moved all the photos I wanted to sync into a USB Thumb drive (FAT32 file system), and directed iTunes to look into the new folder in the USB drive (eg. F:/thumbdrive/photos).

iTUnes SYNCED THE PHOTOS SMOOTHLY and quickly!
This is a workaround, until Apple fixes the above problem.

...... as for VIDEO, I still have my computer rebooting everytime I try to sync. I believe it is a Vista and Quicktime compatibility issue which some people have mentioned, but have not figured out a workaround for this. (Any video, even podcasts from iTunes Network will reboot the computer).

If anyone has any more insight on this, please share -- as this forum Section is one of the few good "iphone-for-PCpeople" focused threads I have found on the Web.

brendo234

Oct 26, 2007

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I've been having similar problems with my iPhone syncing with my Windows Vista PC. I have found minimal help in the Apple forums, I like this forum and I have also seen a few posts on this site: http://i.nconspicuo.us/ and more specifically, this post: http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/10/21/s...ause-they-cannot-be-displayed-on-your-iphone/ and
http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/10/21/s...-cannot-be-displayed-on-your-iphone/#solution

I'm glad i'm not the only one who has this problem!
Syncing pictures is fixed using the Fat32 USB Thumb drive workaround for me.

Do you have problems syncing videos as well? I can't figure that out.
Plus, many times my computer crashes when I try to add Album Art to a song. (when the iPhone is not even connected, or synced)...

brendo234

Oct 26, 2007
You know what... I haven't even tried syncing videos. I'm definitely going to try the FAT32 option next time I sync to my home computer.

I don't have any problems with album art - I don't use iTunes to manage my music, I just used Windows Explorer to setup directory structures and I use Tag & Rename to do all the ID3 tags and add the album art... it takes a little extra time, but it allows the songs to display correctly both in iTunes and in Windows Media Center (Tag & Rename supports the "Album Artist" field).

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
You know what... I haven't even tried syncing videos. I'm definitely going to try the FAT32 option next time I sync to my home computer.

I don't have any problems with album art - I don't use iTunes to manage my music, I just used Windows Explorer to setup directory structures and I use Tag & Rename to do all the ID3 tags and add the album art... it takes a little extra time, but it allows the songs to display correctly both in iTunes and in Windows Media Center (Tag & Rename supports the "Album Artist" field).
How do you sync your music? Do you just put in MP3 directly into the iPhone using Windows Explorer? And how exactly do you put in Album Art manually? thanks!

Addendum: Ahh... i see "Tag&Rename" is the program you use to do it right? After you reTag the MP3 files, do you then drag the songs into iTunes?

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Tag&Rename

Thanks for the Tag&Rename information...

Now I can add ALL my custom AlbumArt to my songs without having iTunes rebooting my computer! It works great, and bypasses iTunes having to do the work in putting the Art to the song (which crashes my computer)...
thanks! :)

Now all I need to figure out is a workaround for Video...

Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Using latest iTunes 7.4.3.1
Computer OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit with RAID-1 (Mirror)
Apple product: iPhone

:mad: HELP! :mad:

Everytime I sync my iPhone with my computer and try to sync either PICTURES or VIDEO, it crashes my computer, reboots it, and ALSO CORRUPTS my RAID-1 Array!

During the sync, when the iPhone is "optimizing" the photo (even when trying to add ONE photo), the computer reboots.

It has corrupted the RAID-1 it 4 times already...requiring me to rebuild the RAID-1 array everytime I try to sync!

I already uninstalled iTunes/Quicktime, and reinstalled, but still have same problems. (I am able to sync music/mp3s okay though)

Does anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix this?
THANKS!
EXACT same thing happened to me 2 TIMES! Has anybody tried this with Intels newest version of their Matrix manager Software (7.6) with the most recent iTunes/Quicktime? I don't want my RAID array screwed up again until I know they have "fixed" this issue.

Dell XPS 410 with Vista Ultimate and a RAID 1 array (mirrored)/SATA drives.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
EXACT same thing happened to me 2 TIMES! Has anybody tried this with Intels newest version of their Matrix manager Software (7.6) with the most recent iTunes/Quicktime? I don't want my RAID array screwed up again until I know they have "fixed" this issue.

Dell XPS 410 with Vista Ultimate and a RAID 1 array (mirrored)/SATA drives.
heh, i replied to your other post on the other thread...
i wonder if this is a Dell RAID issue. I also have a Dell XPS (i think 310 though) with RAID 1 array.