Help! "this person cannot be reached by iMessage at this time"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Torinate, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Hello there.

Got my daughter an iPad Mini for Christmas.

Unfortunately, we can't get iMessage or Facetime set up. She has a new Apple id and has been able to get into the iTunes etc. Efverything works... except for these 2 major things. I was on with Apple support last night but no luck.

Things we tried:

Logged out and back in to iTunes.
    reset network settings
    reset all settings
    toggle time zone
    hard reset
    verified all email addresses associated with her iTunes account
    power cycled the ipad

Most of these things have been tried several times. I spoent almost 8 hours trying to get these working let alone the few hours to get it set it up.

Anyone have anything or ideas that i've missed?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Torinate

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you use an @iCloud address for her account? Delete her contact from your phone and add it back in. Make sure you're sending it to the correct address and that she is connected to WiFi.

3. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Thank you for your reply.

No, we set up her Apple id with her gmail email account.

I will try deleting her her contact information as well. When I first set it up, I added this email to her existing contact information. I will delete the whole contact from my phone and my wife's phone as well and start over.

It's interesting though. When I (or my wife) try to send an imessage to the ipad, the bubble comes up like it knows we're typing. But, the "cannot be reached" message comes up on our phones once we hit send. The ipad can send imessages to our phones as well...

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If that doesn't work, I would set her up with a new iCloud Apple ID. That way she can sync notes and it will likely fix this problem with messages. She can log into the App Store and iTunes with your existing Apple ID and share the music and apps that you have already bought (if you want) or she can log in through iCloud, but she will have to purchase the stuff you have already bought if she does it that way. In the iCloud settings, she will log in with her unique iCloud Apple ID. It's fine to use two Apple IDs - that's how I do it.

5. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Gotcha.. I think.

Would you change her existing iTunes account with the new icloud email or would you open a completely new iTunes account with the icloud email? She has a large credit on her current account from iTunes cards - don't want to lose that. Changing the email on her existing account would allow her to keep those but making a brand new account with the icloud email would render the credit useless on that account. Have I confused you yet? Give me time...

Thanks!

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I'd continue to use the existing iTunes account for the App Store and iTunes and get her a new iCloud account to use with iCloud and for messaging. The only downside to this method is that she has to log into the iPad with two accounts (once in iTunes and once in iCloud). It's not a big deal. I've been doing it this way for years.

7. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Ok. I see what you're saying.

This may be a bit much... i'll ask her what she thinks... At least we have options!

Could this be a hardware issue maybe? No idea... still brand new in the plastic...

Thanks again for your timely and efficient assistance! Greatly appreciated!

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I don't think it's a hardware problem. iCloud accounts are free and they are the best option for iCloud. Lots of people use a separate account for music and apps from what they use for iCloud and messaging.

9. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Did you verify that you don't have restrictions enabled for those apps?

Settings -> General -> Restrictions

-rb

10. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

You shouldn't have to make an iCloud account. My wife uses a gmail email address for hers and we have no issues. Dumb question but you did turn those two features on in settings, right?

11. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I was having the same problem with sending iMessages to my daughter to her iPod Touch. She has a gmail account for her Apple ID. All of us have gmail for our Apple IDs. That should not affect any feature availability as compared to an icloud Apple ID. Other people could send her messages, just not me. I reset the network settings on my 5s and it started working.