Help! Unlocking an activated 3G for an AT&T user

Sep 7, 2008
I can get a new 3g iPhone for $350 from my cousin who didn't realize his fingers were too fat to text so he doesn't want it. The only issue is it has a contract. I was wondering if I can unlock a 3g iPhone that has already been contracted and linked to iTunes by the San luis Obispo, Ca AT&T dealer he bought it from. I have an AT&T service plan already but I don't want to pay the mandatory $30 a month fee for internet nor do I want to redo my contract. On my current AT&T contract I do not pay for internet but if I unlock the 3g iPhone can I access the same internet that other iPhone users who pay the $30 monthly fee? Will I at least be able to access the wifi at my house through my 3g for free? Can you send pics through texting if you unlock a 3g. Will I have any problems texting others on an unlocked 3g? Im going to meet my cousin tomorrow 10am pacific time so I need to know this info before then. Thanks

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
yes you can unlock it. No you won't be able to use the Internet and I would be careful because of the way the phone operates Internet is ALMOST a must have. Yes you will be able to access your wi-fi. No you cannot send pic messages only through email. No you will not have a problem texting others. I'm not exactly snure about all of my answers but I'm sure somebody else will chime in. I really don't think you will have to unlock the phone just put your sim card into it. Hope this helps a little.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I don't think you can unlock the 3g yet.
Witness is right - the 3G iPhone can't be unlocked yet. I wouldn't suggest you buy it from him quite yet - get a first-generation iPhone, which can be unlocked, or wait until an unlocking solution is released for the 3G iPhone.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
yes I'm sorry but I was wrong about unlocking the 3g. I have read too many post about JB and unlocking and it's confusing to know which phone is being discussed. Sorry for the misinformation.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
why would you want to unlock it when you already have an AT&T contract. if he cancels the contract on the iPhone cant oyu just pop in your sim card?

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Do this.
Tell the guy to turn off data plan and when you get it, you'll have to jail break your iPhone and turn off all 3g and edge connection or the seller would have to pay 1 cent/byte sent.

The only dif is that you won't have access to 3g int or edge of course, no visual voicemail and for Internet access you'll have to rely on wifi access which is free.

Do this or just buy the first gen. of iPhone, it just won't have gps on it.

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
Just to make sure, you can't use a 3g iPhone with T-mobile service?

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
yes, to use a t-mobile card you'll have to have it unlocked which isn't possible at the moment.