Help! What should I do

Dec 19, 2007
nyc
Hey everyone, im new :D

Anyway i currently have a t-mobile sidekick lx and i like but don't love it, i really really want a iPhone and thinking of getting one TODAY. I'm not worried about the lx, i can sell that on ebay or somewhere, anyway. I don't have a SSN and a lot of people told me that i cant get an iPhone without 1! is this true? Can i get it on prepard Pick your plan? or can i get a contract but pay a fee?:(
PLease help me, i really want this phone today.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'm assuming you mean a social security number? The reason they ask you that is so they can run the credit check on your for your phone. Go to an Apple store and I don't believe they will ask you.

Spaniard85

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I'm assuming you mean a social security number? The reason they ask you that is so they can run the credit check on your for your phone. Go to an Apple store and I don't believe they will ask you.
I got my iPhone from an AT&T store and they asked me my SSN. They did the credit check in store. I'm not sure why it would be any different at an Apple Store.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'm pretty sure at the Apple stores they don't run the credit checks and let you do everything from home through iTunes. I know you still had to go through iTunes when you got home from the Apple store, but they preauthorized you and I'm not sure the Apple stores do. Can anyone else verify this?

Mordred

Jul 24, 2007
VA
When I got my Phone from Apple they did not ask for my SSN but I think once you activate your phone via ITune, then it would be asking for your SSN if you currently don't have a AT&T account.

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Should still work, but in case it isn't clear as to what to do:
1) buy an iPhone and walk out of the store and proceed to laugh at every cell phone you see until you reach you car.
2) go home and plug in your new phone, and launch iTunes
3) go through the steps, and when asked for your SSN enter 999-99-9999
4) you will fail At&t's credit check, and either be allowed to put down a large deposit to get a 2 year contract, or choose prepaid.
5) upon choosing finish your activation.
6) find random reasons to show off your iPhone in very public settings

Hope that helps!

Optimous

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
you need a SSN for a contract and you need one for a pick your plan thing couse i have pick your plan and got it like 3 days ago and remember them asking for my.