Help with anthropological research into iPhone ownership

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Greetings fellow iPhone owners,

I'm working on my final project for an Anthropology class today, and I need your help. I'm doing simple ethnographic research (essentially field work) into the culture of iPhone owners. If you own an iPhone and could answer these six short questions by replying to this thread, it would be of immense help with my work. (Anthropologists love surveys)

1) Why did you buy an iPhone?

2) Are you glad you bought the iPhone?

3) Has the iPhone changed your daily habits and/or routine significantly, and if so, in what way?

4) How does the iPhone affect your relationships? (i.e. do you contact friends and family more/less frequently, or in a different way than before)

5) How many hours a week do you spend using the iPhone?

6) What is the most significant benefit to owning this device? (or, if you prefer, what is the most significant disadvantage?)

Thank you for your help gang, it's invaluable to me! (if you prefer to answer these questions privately, you may email me: dylan at algore dot org )

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
1) Was tired of my old crappy cell and decided to get the best new phone out there.

2) Extremely glad

3) i'm much better about replying to emails now, i listen to music and watch videos more often (including podcasts for the first time), overall just more organized

4) i contact family and friends more often, more emailing and texting then before.

5) tough to put a real number on that, i would guess 14.

6) its a toss up between the stability of the device and how easy it is to access information (directions, weather, traffic, movie times, ect)

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
1) Why did you buy an iPhone?

My current contract with Verizon was going to expire this September so I decided, what the hay! Plus, I was tired of renewing my contracts and getting mediocre phones. I was going to get a smart phone anyway. Plus, I like the bling-bling!

2) Are you glad you bought the iPhone?

Immensely impressed. At first, I begrudgingly admit, I wasn't impressed at all, until I felt it in my hand and operated it, then, I was sold!

3) Has the iPhone changed your daily habits and/or routine significantly, and if so, in what way?

I keep my iPhone around with me more than previous phones although they were pretty boring. I check email more throughout the day. I normally come home to 150 emails and have to devote time to sort through them. Now, I can tackle them throughout the day.

4) How does the iPhone affect your relationships? (i.e. do you contact friends and family more/less frequently, or in a different way than before)

They are drawn in by the technology, but still can't believe what I've dropped on a cell phone. But, I am not mocked.

5) How many hours a week do you spend using the iPhone?

never clocked myself. however, I probably use it a few hours a day.

6) What is the most significant benefit to owning this device? (or, if you prefer, what is the most significant disadvantage?)

Advantage? Other than keeping up with my technology driven lifestyle, it is after all a status symbol.

Fred......pleased iPhone user.