Help With Backing Up 3rd Party Apps

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All!

An Apple newbie here so I apologies if my question has been answered somewhere already on this forum. I have had a look but I have somewhat ended up confusing myself so if anyone can help me, with an "idiots guide to" approach I would be extremely grateful!

I have had my iPad 1 for 9mths and I successfuly jail broke it last year whilst running on iOS 4. whatever it was :) and downloaded my 3rd party apps etc. When iOS 5 came out I understood that if I upgraded my firmware I would lose my 3rd party apps unless I backed them up. (My knowledge of Cydia is very limited, to the point where all I have done with it is added the [pirating content deleted]). I have heard about aptbackup, but I am not sure if it is for windows or not? So I guess you could say that is my first question... Is it for windows pc's? If not is there an alternative I could use?

Second question, I didn't have many 3rd party apps so I did upgrade the firmware to iOS 5 did a new untethered jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.10B3 (the before kept giving me an error in stage 1of the jailbreak)... Anyway, the iPad is working fine but on 2 occasions when browsing the Internet on safari I've had a pop up saying about limited memory, the exact wording I cannot remember. Is this something to worry about?

Any info in simple terms without abbreviations would be great and apologies for the lack of Apple/iOS knowledge... The iPad is my first Apple device apart from a clickwheel iPod ;)

Thanks!

B x

Jan 28, 2012
Oops, don't I feel like I'be been sent to the naughty corner in school. I'd googled my question and it brought me to this forum, so apologies for that and apologies that I have overlooked your terms. It's a bit harsh to assume that everyone who may have JB their device has done it to steal.

Feel like SOPA in force already?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Oops, don't I feel like I'be been sent to the naughty corner in school. I'd googled my question and it brought me to this forum, so apologies for that and apologies that I have overlooked your terms. It's a bit harsh to assume that everyone who may have JB their device has done it to steal.

Feel like SOPA in force already?
You did read our forum policy when you signed up, right? I believe there's a check box to indicate that. If you have further gripes or questions, feel free to contact me privately via PM.