Help with Cydia

Jul 23, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
Okay, so, new to iPhone world. I bought a new 1st gen 8gig unlocked with 2.0.

I have the Cydia icon on my screen with a red 6 showing 6 new things or whatever. Then I pull it up and it says, "4 essential upgrades. One or more essential packages are currently out of date. If these upgrades are not performed you are likely to encounter errors." Should I upgrade or no?! Will this lock my phone? What are the updates for? Thanks in advance!

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I'd wait for another opinion, but since these are updates through cydia they are probably for the the program to function properly. I had a jailbroken 1.1.4 and there were updates for installer periodically, so this seems similar to that. but lets see what someone else says

Evilzone

Jul 23, 2008
I had that aswell, I upgraded and its fine.

iTrey.Bates

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
Texas
you are supposed to upgrade buddy...nothing bad will come of it...promise

VSpec

Dec 13, 2007
I keep getting errors when trying to upgrade the essential items that Cydia brings up. After that I can't download anything else. Can anyone help? The error I'm getting is:

Source Error
failed in buffer_write(fd) (6, ret=-1)

Jul 15, 2008
I keep getting errors when trying to upgrade the essential items that Cydia brings up. After that I can't download anything else. Can anyone help? The error I'm getting is:

Source Error
failed in buffer_write(fd) (6, ret=-1)
If you have many upgrades, you can try doing 1 at a time instead of UPGRADING ALL. This will make the process longer but you can also reboot after each install to make sure that everything reloads properly.

iPimp

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
i updated, nothing happens, first it updates only 4 then you open cydia and it updates 2

Same thing here,unlocked my 16gb 1st gen and did the exact same thing 4 then 2.

It's all good...:cool: