Help With Ebooks

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I just installed the Books app and one of the Harry Potter books from Installer. When I start up Books it doesn't show any books at all.
How do I get it to view the books that I install via Installer?
Sorry, I'm new at this stuff.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
OK, this can't be that hard. I used WinSCP and found where the Harry Potter Book installed to on my iPhone. Anyone know where I should move it to so the Book app will see and and it will show up in the app?

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
I had this problem too. You need to use WinSCP to change the permissions on the files. Go to /var/root/Media and change the ownership permissions to 755. Have it do it recursively, and it will change the permission for the directory and all subdirectories and files. I am using my Mac right now so I don't have WinSCP to look at....so this is off the top of my head....but it worked for me.

If you have trouble, go to http://code.google.com/p/iPhoneebooks/wiki/InstallingEBooks

and move down near the bottom...this problem is discussed in detail. What confused me was you don't just change the actual files...you have to change the media directory as well.

Something changed with the directory structure in 1.1.3 which is what makes this necessary, as best I can figure out. I had no problem with 1.1.2, but had to do this for both 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

Good luck!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Mine are in /var/root/Media/EBooks

And recognized by the app ok under 1.1.4 JBed with ZiPhone ...

Also, just saw the post above ref changing permissions - I did not need to do this, or anything additional, so far.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I had this problem too. You need to use WinSCP to change the permissions on the files. Go to /var/root/Media and change the ownership permissions to 755. Have it do it recursively, and it will change the permission for the directory and all subdirectories and files. I am using my Mac right now so I don't have WinSCP to look at....so this is off the top of my head....but it worked for me.

If you have trouble, go to http://code.google.com/p/iPhoneebooks/wiki/InstallingEBooks

and move down near the bottom...this problem is discussed in detail. What confused me was you don't just change the actual files...you have to change the media directory as well.

Something changed with the directory structure in 1.1.3 which is what makes this necessary, as best I can figure out. I had no problem with 1.1.2, but had to do this for both 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

Good luck!
Thanks David. You really helped a lot. It worked great.I can now read my books.

trouille2

Apr 2, 2008
I just installed the Books app and one of the Harry Potter books from Installer. When I start up Books it doesn't show any books at all.
How do I get it to view the books that I install via Installer?
Sorry, I'm new at this stuff.
Hello,
unfortunately I can't solve your problem, but apparently, your can help me. I'm looking for that ebook for a long time now. I began to read the last Harry potter and since the last update, I lost it. Can you tell me on which repository you found this ebook?

Txs

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Hello,
unfortunately I can't solve your problem, but apparently, your can help me. I'm looking for that ebook for a long time now. I began to read the last Harry potter and since the last update, I lost it. Can you tell me on which repository you found this ebook?

Txs
Uh, look at my post directly above yours. I listed the repo there.

By the way, for anyone that might be having problems getting your ebooks to show up it's actually a pretty easy fix. Just make sure your books are located in their own directory and in /var/root/Media/EBooks and set each books permissions to 0755. It's that simple.