help with encrypted back up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shaila freeman, Aug 25, 2012.

1. shaila freeman

shaila freeman New Member

hi i have a problem, i never got a password for the encrypted back up on iTunes and so i have no idea how to unlock it because the whole process is still new to me and i cant afford to pay thirty bucks to Applecare just for one time help. but i really eant to be able to move my books from ibooks to another app and that is standing in my way unfortuneatly. Can someone please help me figure this out? thank you, shaila freeman hughes

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If you chose to make the backup encrypted, don't you have to supply the password for it to do the backup first? Or did someone else do the backup for you?

3. shaila freeman

shaila freeman New Member

No never did I get one when I was using my moms computer or when I got my laptop. In fact I had to back it up once on my moms and it said I did it correctly NEVER GAVE ME A PASSWORD and then proceeded to ask for one when I came back from getting the best software update, asked for one and the Apple want money so I can gety contacts back? Now I just want to move my books and this forum tells us how but I can't disable it? Is there a generic password that anyone knows about? Seriously I'm disabled and barely can survive at $688 a month and can't afford Apple care?

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

A few searches I did :
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/find-itunes-backup-password/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Warning: If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.