Help with Exchange/Outlook Mail

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Smokin

Sep 6, 2007
I work for a VERY large, well known internet company. We do have the latest in exchange servers but our primary mobile device is the blackberry. I can not get my iPhone to sync with the corporate exchange server. Funny thing is that coworkers with windows mobile devices have no problems with receiving mail. My iPhone cant even find the server under IMAP and Exchange settings. When I input the information with the correct exchange incoming mail server info it tells me it cannot connectin using SSL. So I opt to try to set up without SSL. It then tries for a few minutes to verify exchange account info. when it is done it tells me "exchange account verification failed: The exchange server "xxxxxx.corp.xxxx.com" is not responding. Chack your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the "incoming mail server" field. IMAP support must be enabled on the exchange server.

Any ideas?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I work for a VERY large, well known internet company. We do have the latest in exchange servers but our primary mobile device is the blackberry. I can not get my iPhone to sync with the corporate exchange server. Funny thing is that coworkers with windows mobile devices have no problems with receiving mail. My iPhone cant even find the server under IMAP and Exchange settings. When I input the information with the correct exchange incoming mail server info it tells me it cannot connectin using SSL. So I opt to try to set up without SSL. It then tries for a few minutes to verify exchange account info. when it is done it tells me "exchange account verification failed: The exchange server "xxxxxx.corp.xxxx.com" is not responding. Chack your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the "incoming mail server" field. IMAP support must be enabled on the exchange server.

Any ideas?

Is IMAP support enabled on your exchange server? I work for a local Government and our admins refuse to enable IMAP or POP3 for security/spam relay reasons.

They did set-up a forward to my yahoo account (it does push like the blackberry), so I get a copy of everything forwarded to Yahoo!. Sometimes I get it on my iPhone before I see it in Entourage (outlook on a mac).

Smokin

Sep 6, 2007
Is IMAP support enabled on your exchange server? I work for a local Government and our admins refuse to enable IMAP or POP3 for security/spam relay reasons.

They did set-up a forward to my yahoo account (it does push like the blackberry), so I get a copy of everything forwarded to Yahoo!. Sometimes I get it on my iPhone before I see it in Entourage (outlook on a mac).

Im not sure if they have turned on IMAP, but Im guessing that if Windows Mobile devices work, why would the iPhone be any different?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Im not sure if they have turned on IMAP, but Im guessing that if Windows Mobile devices work, why would the iPhone be any different?
Windows Mobile devices use Exchange Activesync, which has nothing to do with IMAP. The Blackberry devices use Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) for the syncing. If you can't get it to work over IMAP, then I'm pretty sure they don't have it enabled. I work for a small 21 person company and we refuse to open up IMAP as well. It's a security risk, but it would mean we'd have to support the iPhone, which we ain't gonna do. :)

Joe

Sep 3, 2009
Solution for your iPhone not connecting to an otherwise fine exchange server

ok, Normally I won't answer questions without the full detailed error information, but this one is a pretty safe guess. My answer makes the assumption you are using Exchange 2007.

If you are able to connect via windows mobile devices, but not iPhone devices it is due to the mobile device security policy assigned to your mailbox. iPhone does not support some of the mobile device security options, mainly because they do not apply to the device.

This is a common issue so don't feel bad. Your Exchange Administrator can make a simple change to fix this. First the administrator can check the event log from when you attempted to connect your account and confirm this. There will be an Exchange Activesync error entry that shows this, as well as any other reason why the phone cannot connect.

Also to avoid any confusion IMAP has nothing to do with this, disregard any previous posts in this thread referring to IMAP.

The admin can either edit the default policy, or make a new policy and apply it to only mailboxes where the users want to connect with an iPhone device.

There are a number of settings in the policy, but only one or two really have the ability to stop an iPhone from working.

The main ones are on the password section of the policy. Require encryption on the device, and require encryption on the storage card. uncheck those and voila should solve most of your problems.

Another policy change is on the general settings section, Allow non provisionable devices. Should not be needed for iPhone, but can resolve the same type of issue if you have a windows phone prior to WM 5.0 and are unable to connect. If your iPhone still will not connect, check the event logs, and there will be any entry explaining why.

If you are using iPhone in your exchange environment, there is also another setting you can change to help with performance.

The follow Apple support article will explain this heartbeat issue, and link to a Microsoft support article about how to change it. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1868

If you are using exchange 2003 then you have to change some registry settings, however in 2007, you edit a web.config file on the server that is used for the activesync webservice IIS application hosted on the server.