Help with hardware diagnosis

thr61

Dec 19, 2007
I bought my wife a new iPhone last week and tonight it began doing the following:

1. Turning it on results in the "home" screen flashing rapidly on and off. Opening an application stops the flashing.

2. However, the now open application is washed out and has bands of lighter pixels running across it and generally looks like a 1996 lo-res crt.

No known trauma to the device. I have done a restore through iTunes and the problem remains. Any ideas on what is wrong and/or how to fix it?

The device is running the latest firmware and is connected to an intel-Mac running Tiger.

Thanks.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I bought my wife a new iPhone last week and tonight it began doing the following:

1. Turning it on results in the "home" screen flashing rapidly on and off. Opening an application stops the flashing.

2. However, the now open application is washed out and has bands of lighter pixels running across it and generally looks like a 1996 lo-res crt.

No known trauma to the device. I have done a restore through iTunes and the problem remains. Any ideas on what is wrong and/or how to fix it?

The device is running the latest firmware and is connected to an intel-Mac running Tiger.

Thanks.
Sir,
A restore usually fixes any, and all crazy quirks with the iPhone. Your problem sounds like a serious hardware problem. You should return it to an Apple store right away. Apple has been very good about replacing, clearly defective iPhones. Best of Luck to You...Mark

thr61

Dec 19, 2007
I bought the phone at an AT&T store. Will they do an exchange there or do I need to go to an Apple store?

Thanks.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Just take it back to the AT&T store. There should not be any problem at all. They are very good at making things right.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I bought the phone at an AT&T store. Will they do an exchange there or do I need to go to an Apple store?

Thanks.
You will get better quality service if you take it to Apple....forget AT&T

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Sorry to hear you have crappy AT&T stores. I have gotten nothing but excellent service at the one I go to.