Help with Imap

jjk454ss

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
OK, I know there are some posts on here about Imap, but I didn't want to bring up an old discussion for something new. My biggest problem is I have like 4000 messages in one gmail account. How do I keep all my old messages from being sent to my iPhone and my mac mail after I setup imap? I would like to keep them in gmail, just don't need them on my iPhone especially.

Is there something I can do to keep this messages in gmail, but not have anything old sent to my mac or iPhone?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I also have a lot of messages in one of my gmail accounts. I have to keep them, because I was using this account for businesss before we got a real businesss email that worked properly.

What I do is set my iPhone to only show 50 messages at a time. Then I only have my 50 most recents on the iPhone. When you set the iPhone to only show 50 emails, it will only show the 50 most recent, so if you get new mail, the older ones "fall off."

This works for me because I do not get more than 50 new messages before I can check my computer and it is not a critical account now. I also do not need to have access to the multitude of messages when I am away from my computer.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if i am understanding you correctly, there isn't EXACTLY a way to do what you are describing (that i am aware of), but this should get you by.

Gmail:
put a label on the 4000 emails you don't want on the iPhone and archive them all. this way they will not be in your inbox anymore, but you can still access them via the label. Also, the iPhone will not download themwhen you're just checking your new emails.

anything else:
put the 4000 emails into a folder (or various folders). this will remove them from your inbox so your phone won't download them when you're just checking your new emails.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
if i am understanding you correctly, there isn't EXACTLY a way to do what you are describing (that i am aware of), but this should get you by.

Gmail:
put a label on the 4000 emails you don't want on the iPhone and archive them all. this way they will not be in your inbox anymore, but you can still access them via the label. Also, the iPhone will not download themwhen you're just checking your new emails.

anything else:
put the 4000 emails into a folder (or various folders). this will remove them from your inbox so your phone won't download them when you're just checking your new emails.
The method kokogirl suggested is the best. Since Gmail is IMAP, even if you store the messages in a folder. The messages will still appear on your iPhone, not in the in box, but in the folder you created...Mark

jjk454ss

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
I was thinking something like labeling them or creating a new folder for them too. Is there a way to do them all or can I only do 100 at a time, since that is all I can view at once?

Thanks for the help.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The method kokogirl suggested is the best. Since Gmail is IMAP, even if you store the messages in a folder. The messages will still appear on your iPhone, not in the in box, but in the folder you created...Mark
yes, i understand that. But your phone won't download them unless you choose to view that folder.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Under mail settings you have the option of showing ONLY 25 or 50 msgs and so on. This makes sure that it will not download everything on to your iPhone.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
If you ever view that created folder on the iPhone. The emails will sit on your iPhone until you delete them, or move them to another folder. You can create another email address at Gmail, pull all your 400 emails into that email account, then delete them on your regular email. You can then access the 400 email's by logging into (we'll say) your newly made (storage) Gmail account.

jjk454ss

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Thats not a bad idea, to create a storage account. Otherwise I was thinking of creating an iPhone only email account and I can have new messages from my other accounts forwarded to the iPhone account.

Also, the way imap works, if I have imap on my mac and I delete messages, are they permanatly deleted from the gmail web access as well? I would like to have this setup so I still keep all messages in gmail, since they give you all the room so you never have to delete them. I just don't need them all on my computer either.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Also, the way imap works, if I have imap on my mac and I delete messages, are they permanatly deleted from the gmail web access as well?
kinda. see this link. if you have your heart set on using IMAP, this might work best for you:

If you're running version 1.1.2 OR you've manually set up IMAP by following these instructions, this is how message deletion and archiving will work:
  • Tap the trash button on any message > Archives message so that it will only appear in [Gmail]/All Mail and your iPhone Trash folder.
    Note: This is how Gmail IMAP works in most mail clients. For more information, please visit http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78755.