Help with IPSW 3GS jail break

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Hey guys,
Has anyone been able to jailbreak the 3gs if so, can you please (if not to much tell me how or point me to a link with directions)
I tried using the tutorial where where i downloaded redsn0w but cant seem to downlaod the ipsw file, every time i download (and its been over 10 times) the file gets decompressed and a folder is created with 3 dmg files that are all password protected.
I currently am on a mac, and have a 32 gig iPhone 3gs, it has never been jail broken before and is on the 3.0 software.
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but please any help would greatly be appreciated

thanks in advance

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Why don't you try using purplera1n instead. It's much easier to use. It doesn't require you to download the IPSW. Just plug the phone in and make ra1n!:027:asured

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I will look into it
Can i ask you another dumb question, what is cydia?
Does it matter if i use purplera1n or redsn0w, will both have the same functions and apps available?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Cydia is the equivalent to the App Store. There are a few other such as Rock App and Icy (both available in Cydia) that you can use to install jailbroken apps.

Both tools do the same thing. But most will agree that purplera1n is the easier to use. If you do use purplera1n. Remember to run Freeze. That will install Cydia. If you noticed Cydia is not on the springboard after you close Freeze. Reboot your phone and it will show up.

Also, you may want to install Cydelete from Cydia. You can use it to delete the Freeze icon (you delete the same way you do AppStore apps). You want to open up settings and scroll down to Cydelete and make sure you turn on "Delete Non Cydia". That way it will delete Freeze. Good luck with the jailbreak :)

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I DID IT LOL

Now i just need to research how to use my slingmedia player using wifi tricker

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
just made it rain on my 3gs last night. Jailbreaking has come a LONG way since i did my 2g way back when. Backgrounder and irealsms are nice :eek:k:eek:k

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Congrats to you both :) I wouldn't install Tricker yet. It's doesn't work with the 3GS yet. I know many are waiting for it.

nydmx

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
lol everywhere i turned i saw the same posts (tricker don't work with 3gs)
That was the whole reason i did this!
Ohh well i will just wait for them to release an update i guess
how bout the voip app thats floating around do you know if that works over 3gs?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
voiceoverIP3G is basically in the same boat. They both depend on Mobile Substrate to work.