Help with iTunes - not syncing all music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kate C, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Kate C

Kate C New Member

I hope someone here can help me.

I have iTunes on my both my home and work PCs. I purchased a song on work iTunes yesterday but it hadn't synced to my phone, so I ran a full sync with all music.

I got a warning that the iPhone was previously synced with home iTunes - it would delete everything and re-sync everything on work iTunes. OK, that's fine. All the music is there anyway.

So I sync, and all my music is deleted from the iPhone, but almost nothing is uploaded.

Work iTunes will only sync 1 album (already owned and uploaded, like most music on my iTunes), and 3 individual tracks i have purchased through iTunes. The other 430 odd songs it is ignoring.

I have tried rebooting the computer and replugging in the iPhone.

I have tried putting all tracks into a playlist and syncing that.

I have tried restoring the factory setttings to the iPhone.

I have tried downloading a new version of iTunes (v10.4).

I'm still only getting the same 15 tracks.

I am on software v4.3.5

Help! What can else can I do?

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Ok, here is the bad news. In my experience, syncing between 2 computers has never carried your information over from one to the other. Not completely, anyway.
    There is a way to try to get purchases, so let's start there.
    At work, make sure you sync and everything is on there that you want to bring home.
    When you get home, connect and launch iTunes, BUT DON"T SYNC. Not just yet. If you sync, you'll just wipe out the work sync and replace it before you have a chance to do anything. (You might need to turn off automatic syncing before leaving for work, if you have this enabled. same thing at work)
    You need to click File and then select Transfer purchases from iPod. That will take care of any purchases at work and putting them on your home PC (I believe this also works for Apps as well.) This method does not work for MP3's or albums added at work.
    This is part of the reason that Apple is coming out with the iCloud thing. It should solve at least part of this problem automatically- if you choose to do so.
    There are other methods as well, but it's a lot more hassle that it's worth.
    In my opinion though, it's not worth the headache going back and forth between the 2 PC's. My advice is to ditch the work PC syncs and stick with the home PC. The advice is for another reason as well. Because it's a work PC, anything and everything on it is your businesss's businesss. So they can access it anytime they want and will have access to your personal information, texts, emails, pics, etc. I'm not saying they would do this, but it's well within their right to do so (this was a recent law passed earlier this year).

3. Kate C

Kate C New Member

Thank you!

I was able to get some assistance from a friend as well, who imparted some key information: I had no idea that iTunes did not actually store all of your songs on its own server. I didn't realise that if the songs aren't on the computer, then once you sync and they are deleted from the iPhone, you can't get them back until you go back to the home computer.

I've also now worked out another way to get my purchases from work iTunes to my home PC - just save them from the computer onto a flash drive and upload them at home to home iTunes. MUCH less room for error :)

I'm not worried about work access to my info - it's a work iPhone in the first place so they own all that anyway. But I appreciate your concern :)

K

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

actually, you can redownload any iTunes purchases without having to transfer them from your other computer. Sign into the iTunes store and click here:

[​IMG]

As for your syncing problems, which of the checkboxes are checked in these windows?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kate C

Kate C New Member

In the Summary Page, I have only checked the 'Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected' box.

In the Sync Music Page , Nothing at is it currently unchecked. Yesterday when I was having problems, I tried a number of options, but did not ever check the 'auto fill free space with songs' box.

Thanks for the purchased song link!

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Was the "Sync Music" box checked? I guess it must have been if some music made it through.

And were you signed into your iTunes account at the time? If not, it wouldn't have synced purchased music, but would have synced music ripped from CDs.

7. Kate C

Kate C New Member

At the time it was checked, yes. And I was signed in.

Interestingly, I just tried the 'purchased' link box - song is not there. Its on work iTunes, but not at home. Its ok, my other plan worked so its all good now.

8. Phantom Falcon

Phantom Falcon New Member

A very quick way to get your songs that wont download: This solution may help: On your iPhone look for the "iTunes" app and click on it. On the bottom, look for "Purchased" and click on that. From there you can download your Music and TV Shows. I too was unable to regular way from iTunes, but this worked great. It should work for you, at least for these items.