help with jailbreak basics

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
I have read the jailbreakme web site and searched numerous forums here. I have the most current version of itines, and running 1.1.1. Please help with the following questions:

What does jailbreak alone do? I read there is a icon on the homepage, and read you can use anysim. But I have an unlocked att phone so I don't need anysim quite yet. what other application does jailbreak offer?

Lastly, if I download and install, and decide I do not want it any longer, can I restore the phone to stock? Especially if I have a warranty problem!

Thanks for those who spend the time to explain basics, and apoligize for redundancy:cool:

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have read the jailbreakme web site and searched numerous forums here. I have the most current version of itines, and running 1.1.1. Please help with the following questions:

What does jailbreak alone do? I read there is a icon on the homepage, and read you can use anysim. But I have an unlocked att phone so I don't need anysim quite yet. what other application does jailbreak offer?

Lastly, if I download and install, and decide I do not want it any longer, can I restore the phone to stock? Especially if I have a warranty problem!

Thanks for those who spend the time to explain basics, and apoligize for redundancy:cool:
Jailbreak gives you a program on your homepage called Installer. Installer is a means to install further software onto the phone from within the phone itself. You enter sources of software into the installer program (some are already programmed in there) then select from a vast assortment of aftermarket software that you wish to install. These include games, books, utilities, fun little programs that don't do much but are fun like "tickle me elmo", etc.. The programs that you select will then be pulled to the phone through edge (or Wifi) and installed for you. The program also gives you the ability to uninstall them when you no longer wish to use them.

You can restore the phone to return it to a stock condition should you need to return it for service.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
thank you for the explanation! if you upgrade to 1.1.2 will you brick with installer installed...
If you have not unlocked the phone to work with another service provider and all you did was jailbreak it, then upgrading to 1.1.2 will not brick your phone. You need to search this forum for instructions on upgrading to 1.1.2 because there is a very simple process that you use installer on the phone to install a small program then once done you upgrade and it will jailbreak 1.1.2 during the process. If you just upgrade without following these instructions closely you will have a fully working phone but will not be able to jailbreak it without going through a more complicated process to downgrade again to 1.1.1 and then start all over again.