Help with missing memory...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SCMedic

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
My iPhone has 1.24gig of storage space missing, listed as "other". What the hell is it, and how do I get rid of it?

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Maybe emails and stuff with pitcures but thats a lot of memory if soo.. maybe goto settings and then safari and clear cache an cookies? I had like 320MB used and i did that now have like 70 mb lol

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Hmm im not to sure... I mean thats a lot of space condisering the phone isn't even that big in space.. That worked for me Im not sure..

paintdude258

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Weird, just checked my iPhone and it says i only have 32.4 mb of "other" memory! Have u downloaded any applications since you have had the phone?

ben1380

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Have you tried restarting it?

I had the same thing. I think it's like a temp directory or something. I restarted it and it went away.

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I had the same problem, I was like WTF?!

I did a hard restore on iTunes, and my iPhone.

takes a while, but gets rid of it. Now it's back to normal. :cool:

Jun 3, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I read about this issue yesterday, but can't quickly find the link. Basically, the iPhone has moved a bunch of stuff to this "Other" location because of a problem it had. The only way to recover the lost storage is to sync up your iPhone with your computer, then do a Restore of the iPhone. That will wipe your storage and the next sync will bring your data back from your computer's backup.

I'm sorry I can't remember the details, but it's not a new issue. As I recall, following the Restore to its factory state and then re-syncing returned the iPhone to its correct state, with the "Other" stuff gone and everything else was perfect.

SCMedic

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Didn't lose a thing. iTunes makes a nice backup! The only thing I had to do was redo my voicemail message, and any custom iPhone settings.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
so ya had to set photo's and tones back to contacts? how about my photo problem? if the pc says the folder is 12mb it should be the same on the iPhone no? because its 60mb that's a big leap

Jun 3, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I was playing with an iPhone last night that had been reset and re-synched, and the only changes I noticed were that the AirPort passwords had to be re-entered. The restored iPhone remembered the networks to automatically join, but the passwords were missing. I asked the owner if any other settings had to be redone, and he said yes, but that all his personal data was restored.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
Didn't lose a thing. iTunes makes a nice backup! The only thing I had to do was redo my voicemail message, and any custom iPhone settings.
lol, so when i got my replacement on wednesday i checked my greeting, it was set to default like you would normally come to it as when you first get it.

then i called my number from my office phone to see if it would give me the generic message and it played my custom message i recorded!

just a thought for right now :)