Help with moving from highly customizable Android phone to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by fanboy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Hello all. My new iPhone from Verizon should be arriving in the next 18 hours.

I'm new to this, I'm coming from Android (Motorola original Droid). I have never owned an Apple product.

I understand that Android is more customizable than iPhone. I looked up comparable apps in the market that are similar to what is on my Android and with the exception of a few apps I should be able to do what I usually do with out trouble.

I understand that I cannot make the iPhone function like an Android, but I would like to make my life easier in switching to another OS in terms of function.

Widgets make things easier for me, I'd appreciate an arrow in the right direction for making them and all that stuff.

Ringtone also. I make my own. I purchased an iPod and installed iTunes on my PC, I find that iTunes and Windows really do not like each other. What am I going to have to entail when recording/edit my own ringtone and getting iTunes to put it on my phone?

I'm all ears for recommendaitons from you guys for new iUsers coming from Android.

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

3. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

Windows and iTunes do play well together. You just have to figure out the manner in which the co-exist. You can copy ringtones from your computer via iTunes then to your phone. I don't know how I did it, but I copied downloaded ringtones and them moved them to my phone. I do know that you have to go to your iTunes 'Preferences" and find the 'Tones' sync. Then you have to do the same thing on your phone while it is attached to the computer. **I know. Pretty vague, but you can do it.**

Unless you can get past the differences between iOS and Android, you will never like you iPhone. You have to forget everything about Android and focus on your new device. I speak from experience. I recently moved from my third Android device (the last was an X2) to an iPhone 4. The learning curve isn't too bad.

4. Inkncraig

Inkncraig New Member

I came from an Android incredible. Everyday you've got push scree buttons and look around. I have an iPhone 4s and love it. It a curve, but you just need to experience it.

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

These are instructions on how to make a ringtone from your own music. I had to do a search since it had been so long since I had made one myself. It seems like a lot of steps, but it only takes about 2 minutes as long as you don't miss a step.

Open iTunes.

Find the song that you want to make into a ringtone.

Listen to the song and find the part of it you want to use.

Write down the start and stop times of the clip.

Right-click the song and select "Get Info."

Click the "Options" tab.

Type in the start time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Start Time" in the minutes:seconds (i.e., 2:01) format.

Type in the end time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Stop Time." Make sure the ringtone is no more than 30 seconds long.

Click "OK."

Right-click your song again and select "Convert Selection to AAC." Wait for iTunes to convert your song. It will create a duplicate version.

Click and drag the AAC version of the song onto your desktop.

Right-click the ringtone and select "Delete."

Click on the "Keep Files" button.

Find the file, should be on your desktop Or also in the User folder under "Music > iTunes > iTunes Music" and under the band's name. It will have an extension of m4a.

Replace the m4a extension of your ringtone with m4r. You can either double-click slowly to rename your file, or right-click and select "Get Info" on a Mac or "Rename" on a Windows PC.

Click "Use .m4r" or the PC equivalent when the system warns you that the change may affect the use of your file.

Double-click the ringtone file. iTunes will automatically add it to your ringtones folder in your iTunes Music Library.

Connect your iPhone and sync your ringtones.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

6. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

That's why I live using iRinger. So much less complicated, no renaming files, converting, etc...
    The way described using iTunes does work, but just seems like a lot of hoops to jump through :D

8. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the info. iRinger helped me move all my ringtones from my Droid to my iPhone in about 10 minutes.

My-Phone hit the nail on the head, but it is very hard with this switch. I can go on and on about the differences with Android apps, all of them I am having a hard time with out.

The one thing I can truly say is that at least with iPhone I will not have to worry about it freezing up or apps 'arguing' with each other.

The question is can I live with out my Droid apps.

Today was difficult. I complained so much that someone told me to just send it back.... Not ready to do that yet, I have 30 days to 'try' it out according to Verizon.

Normally I would research this myself, but I'm so tired and busy this week I'll just ask here-

Can the phone stay away when plugged into charge?
    I think the screen goes off when I'm in a phone call so that when the call terminates, I have to enter the security code again- anything I can do about that?

It seems Driods are for folks with more than one...'special' person in their life. There is a plethora of apps to hide sms/text message and contact... the iapp market does not seem to have them, or i am not searching correctly (probably because I'm still a PC:sneaky:)

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I LIVE from oxygen. Some thing my heart does. Food. Water. ;)

10. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

Sure, you can live without your Android apps. We lived before Google.

You can always use Phonezoo. (Can I say Phonezoo here?)

11. sorbet

sorbet Member
    Bronze

What Android apps are you missing? I had Android personal phones for 3 years, now I have an iPhone 4s and an HTC Rezound as a work phone and the apps seem to be on par with each other.

I know with my Rezound, when I hold my phone up to my ear the screen goes dark so I don't cheek-hang up on people. Maybe your Droid always did that, and you never noticed?

12. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

The phone is suppose to go blank there's a sensor to make it do that so your face doesn't end your call. It also locks when the call ends. If you terminate the call you may be able to continue using without entering the code again but I'm not sure.

13. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

I have found most Apple apps that mirror what I had on my Droid. It would be nice if I had specific widgets, but there is a link on this forum that I used that made scripts on my iPhone, they the look like widgets and act like widgets but they are not widgets, for things like single tap for blue tooth settings, brightness, wifi and screen lock timer....

An App I found last night, and am very happy with, is an app that creates single tap widgets for calling. You can use your pictures for the widgets and name them. I attached a snap shot of my homescreen with some stuff blocked out (privacy;))

Its called Custom Dial 30

Attached Files:

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

15. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Uhh. My phone is not jail broken...

16. daddyd302

daddyd302 Member
    Bronze

30 days? You sure about that? I'm pretty sure you only have 14 days to decide if you like it or not, not 30....

Anyways I got the iPhone 4S and the Galaxy Nexus so there's really no big difference besides Android being a bit more customizable. Most apps that are available for Android is available for the iPhone. You just can't use widgets unless you jailbreak it. That's what I've heard anyways as I don't want to jail break atm, and stock is fine with me.

17. My-phone

My-phone Member
    Bronze

It is 30 days. I am under the same guarantee.

18. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

There lies your problem. Get it JB and use it the way it's meant

19. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Perhaps that's why this thread was moved to jb section.... That's where this is starting to lead.

I'll look into jb, but everyone says that you it's a brick once you jb, them I see posts where folks say you can return the phone to stock after jb..

I don't know, but at least I'm getting settled in with the iPhone, more awesome Android apps though only cause of Android customization.

20. crystus

crystus Member
    Bronze

I am currently running both an Android and ios. Though i am using the thrill. The 3d has grown on me. There is one area that you will be ok on and that is twitter apps. I have been soo disappointed in the amount of twitter apps for Android. it is the one thing that stops me from using it for a week or two straight.