Help WITH OLD IMAC please!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Okay, so i just got an old g3 imac and i wanted to load my mac osX 10.4 start up cd onto it...but when i loaded the cd in the computer just kept spiting it back out... CAN SOMEONE please HELP!:mad::oops:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Which iMac? How are you booting it?

If you already have an older version of Mac OS X on the drive, boot up to it and try to run the installer ... it will usually complain if it's not compatible.

If it doesn't have a FireWire port (which is usually the quickest way to determine it), you can't run it "natively." But you can "force" the install with a little help from OWC's XPostFacto.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Okay, so i just got an old g3 imac and i wanted to load my mac osX 10.4 start up cd onto it...but when i loaded the cd in the computer just kept spiting it back out... CAN SOMEONE please HELP!:mad::oops:
10.4 came as a DVD. Does your iMac have a DVD player or is the cd definitely not a DVD?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
100% correct. You will need a firewire DVD drive to install this.

Also, yes Tiger will run on a G3. Not fast but it will run, or walk in this case.
Tiger optionally came on multiple CDs but you had to request/pay for this. I haven't even seen them but it's another option.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
Tiger optionally came on multiple CDs but you had to request/pay for this. I haven't even seen them but it's another option.
That is correct, if the computer keeps spitting it out than he has a DVD. There is also an app out there that rips it from dvd to 3 cd's.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
You may need to check your firmware, my daughter has an Bondi Blue and we had to increase the ram and update the firmware. Check these guys and gals out http://lowendmac.com/mail/07/0529.html.
But honestly after it was all said and done it is slowwwww, and she just goes to funbrain to play games.
Hope any of this helps.