Help with setting up an email account on the iPhone 3G

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rocket61

Oct 13, 2008
hey guys whats up
so i have data disabled on my phone but i was wondering if my wifi network at home can be used to get emails to my iPhone 3g. is it possible? or can it only be done with data.

fc97accord

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
Vancouver
yes it is possible to do anything with wifi. Only thing is you need to get data lock via your service provider to block any background fetching etc...

rocket61

Oct 13, 2008
hey thanks for the reply.
as i said above, my data is already blocked.
could you please guide me on how to make my gmail and hotmail account work on my iPhone 3g over wifi?

fc97accord

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
Vancouver
No problem for gmail, but hotmail is not supported using the iPhone e-mail. There is a work around to forward you hotmail to you gmail which is the only option I know of for now. regarding wifi you just have to enable it in settings and if you have an encryption on your router or hub you just type it in.
Hope that helps.
Gmail is straight forward just in hit the email logo on the dock and it will give you the step by step

rocket61

Oct 13, 2008
thanks again for getting back to me
my wifi is all hooked up and ready to go.
when i type in my gmail infomation when adding an account, it says it couldnt connect and offers to try to connect with ssl. if i click yes then i get another error.
could you please tell me the steps to setting up the account properly?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
thanks again for getting back to me
my wifi is all hooked up and ready to go.
when i type in my gmail infomation when adding an account, it says it couldnt connect and offers to try to connect with ssl. if i click yes then i get another error.
could you please tell me the steps to setting up the account properly?
Are you on ATT? Are you jailbroken? People here can help, but we probably need more information.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
  • Google Apps users, please follow the default instructions unless otherwise noted, replacing 'your_domain.com' with your actual domain name.
To configure IMAP for your iPhone, just watch or follow these steps:

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Mail.
  4. Tap Add Account.
  5. Tap Other. (Note: If you're running software update 1.1.3 or later, tapping the 'Gmail' icon will automatically configure IMAP. However, archiving and deleting messages will work differently. If you want your Gmail IMAP actions to operate as designed, please continue on to the next step.

6. Make sure that:
    • The IMAP tab is highlighted
    • Host Name is imap.gmail.com
    • User Name is your full Gmail address, including '@gmail.com.' Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com'

• For Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), Host Name is smtp.gmail.com

7. Tap Save.
  8. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
And you're done. You can verify your Advanced settings by tapping Settings > [your Gmail IMAP Account] > Advanced.
Incoming Settings
Use SSL: ON
Authentication: password
Server Port: 993
Outgoing Settings
Use SSL: ON
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587

rocket61

Oct 13, 2008
hey thanks so much for the in depth tutorial and video.
when i go to add account > other, it doesn't allow me to select between imap, pop, or exchange.
the only fields available are name, address, password, and description.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
By the way. Since you can't configure iPhone for hotmail or MSN. Try setting up MSN Mobile via iPhone's Safari browser (mobile.msn.com or mobile.live.com). Both options work great for getting MSN or Hotmail. When you set either up bookmark it to your home screen and it will be there at a touch of the finger. Mark