Help with SSH on iPhone

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
i searched but for some reason nothing at all came up.

anyways, i installed open SSH onto my iPhone from installer.app but i have no clue how to use ssh, im following a tutorial on how to get the blank page to show off my wallpaper, and it says "SSH into your iPhone" but it doesn't explain how. i downloaded winSCP and i also don't know how to use that. thanks to anyone that can help me =]

ps. after my iPhone soft restarted from installing it, there was no icon for it. when i go to finder, i see a blank app named ".app" that i haven't seen before

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Here's some steps and suggestions for you:

-- OpenSSH does not give you a Springboard icon - one of the easiest ways to turn it On and Off is to use the Services app - you'll find it under the Utilities category in Installer.
-- Use Services to turn SSH On (it's a very good idea to keep it Off except when you are connecting to your iPhone)
-- On the iPhone, go to Settings > WiFi - then click on the little blue arrow next to the WiFi network you are connected to - that should take you to a screen that lists your IP address - make a note of that
-- Launch WinSCP on your PC
-- In the Host Name field, enter the IP address of the iPhone
-- For username enter 'root' (without the quotes) and for password enter 'alpine' (without quotes)
-- Under File Protocol, use the drop-down to switch to SCP
-- Leave the rest as is, and hit 'Login'
-- After a bit, you should get a message relating to key creation - just say Yes to it
You should then be connected and see an Explorer-like view for moving files back and forth between PC and iPhone ...

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Here's some steps and suggestions for you:

-- OpenSSH does not give you a Springboard icon - one of the easiest ways to turn it On and Off is to use the Services app - you'll find it under the Utilities category in Installer.
-- Use Services to turn SSH On (it's a very good idea to keep it Off except when you are connecting to your iPhone)
-- On the iPhone, go to Settings > WiFi - then click on the little blue arrow next to the WiFi network you are connected to - that should take you to a screen that lists your IP address - make a note of that
-- Launch WinSCP on your PC
-- In the Host Name field, enter the IP address of the iPhone
-- For username enter 'root' (without the quotes) and for password enter 'alpine' (without quotes)
-- Under File Protocol, use the drop-down to switch to SCP
-- Leave the rest as is, and hit 'Login'
-- After a bit, you should get a message relating to key creation - just say Yes to it
You should then be connected and see an Explorer-like view for moving files back and forth between PC and iPhone ...
thank you so much! it worked =]