Help With Ssh!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 16, 2007
Ok i cant seem to find this anywhere on the forums, i tried searching here and modmyiPhone but cant get a straight answer. Im trying to make my openssh work but don't know how. Do i use WINscp or another app? Trying to get into the phone and run a comand on it.

Where do i grab my iPhone IP addy?

Whats the login?

Whats the password?

Im so confused, thanks in advance

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm going to assume that you are using a Windows machine. If so, discard this post and use the link posted above. If not, read on.

WINscp is a program for Windows. On the Mac, you'll need Fugu. Download it here or here.

Now, make sure that both your Mac and iPhone are receiving internet service from the same Wi-Fi router. If you don't have a Wi-Fi router, you're out of luck.

On the iPhone, go into Settings > WiFi, and press the little blue arrow next to the Wi-Fi network both your Mac and iPhone are using. You will get a screen full of information. Near the top, the router's IP address will be displayed. Copy it down somewhere.

Now open Fugu, the program you Installed. In the "Connect To" field, input the IP address you just copied down. In the "Username" field, input the word "root". Press Connect.

You will be prompted for a password. The password will either be "dottie" or "alpine". You can change the password, but you would know if you have. Otherwise, use one of two provided.

You know have file system access to your iPhone.

- John

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
You can also grab a program called NetServices. This will enable you to see your current IP address (EDGE or Wifi) and will also allow you to turn off SSH when you don't need it.

NetServices is available through installer by adding CopyCoders repository to installer's sources.

Add CopyCoders to your installer sources and NetServices will become available under CopyCoders.
  1. Open Installer
  2. Tap Sources along bottom navigation bar
  3. Tap Edit along top navigation bar
  4. Tap Add along top navigation bar
  5. Enter: http://homepage.mac.com/hartsteins/copycoders/copycoders.xml
  6. Tap OK
  7. Once Installer finishes adding source - Tap Done
  8. CopyCoders should now appear as a source in "Other Sources". If it does not -Tap Refresh.
  9. Tap Install along bottom navigation bar
  10. NetServices will now be available for installation under the "CopyCoders" heading

Dec 16, 2007
I played around with the phone a little and the WinSCP while i was waiting for the replies.... I finally got it to work, but thanks a lot for your information because i was only messing with it and didn't remember how to do this again! hahahahaha

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
He just won't give up, will he!

The funny thing is I asked him and accused him in several different threads, then when I went to bed I worried that I could be very wrong. But my suspecion was right. It is his writing style that caught me.

Too bad he is a very bright young boy, he said he has a younger brother 14 years old, so I would guess he is 15 or 16.