Help with unlock/jailbreak

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Geezer13

Oct 30, 2007
Originally posted this in 'iPhone' - did not realise this area of the forum was more suitable ;)

OK, took delivery of my 1.02 version iPhone today.

Had a play with everything, put some music and video's on and then had a fiddle with the application installer. Whilst doing this I installed about 7-8 programs and games back to back.

When I came out of the installer my desktop (or whatever its called) was full of icons and then suddenly the phone went on a major spazzy lag fit, everything was pretty much locked up so I did a reset (press both buttons for 30 seconds) and the Apple logo comes up followed by black and white stripes flashing on and off - then the desktop will load but its still really laggy. The spining icon appears every 2-3 seconds and theres nothing that can be done other than doing another reset.

I think it's something to do with the applications I installed but I cant get back into the installer to remove them because of the lag, I've tried plugging it into iTunes as well but iTunes will not pick it up, neither will my computer register it is there (it did before this).

I'm not really sure what to do now?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Geezer13

Oct 30, 2007
Having looked at a few sites last night I decided to do a restore.

I managed to get it into restore mode (yellow triangle) and used the 'shift restore' method to do a 1.02 restore. All went well - now I am on the 'connect to iTunes screen' -the phone is asking for activation.

I'm not going to do it yet but.....

I'm presuming the next step is to jailbreak and do the simfree? I've found a guide (on here) that goes through the 1.1.1 jailbreak/unlock procedure - will this work with my 1.02 iPhone? If not can someone point me to a (very easy) guide for the 1.02 one please!

I'm a bit worried about upgrading to 1.1.1 via iTunes because it gives the 'your phone may be irreversibly damaged' warning.

Thanks again in advance!

PS:- Steveonw, do i know you from xbox.com? Ritchie 2 is my gamertag.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Having looked at a few sites last night I decided to do a restore.

I managed to get it into restore mode (yellow triangle) and used the 'shift restore' method to do a 1.02 restore. All went well - now I am on the 'connect to iTunes screen' -the phone is asking for activation.

I'm not going to do it yet but.....

I'm presuming the next step is to jailbreak and do the simfree? I've found a guide (on here) that goes through the 1.1.1 jailbreak/unlock procedure - will this work with my 1.02 iPhone? If not can someone point me to a (very easy) guide for the 1.02 one please!

I'm a bit worried about upgrading to 1.1.1 via iTunes because it gives the 'your phone may be irreversibly damaged' warning.

Thanks again in advance!

PS:- Stevonw, do i know you from xbox.com? Ritchie 2 is my gamertag.
LOL yeah thats me.

What are you using, Windows or OS X?

V1.02 is really easy to unlock and mod, but doesn't have as many features as v1.1.1 (the main being iTunes, louder ringtones and international menu)

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
there are numerous steps that you should take before upgrading to v1.1.1 if you are going to.

Unlocking/Modding is really easy on Mac OS X, but much more difficult on a Windows machine (most one click programs are written for OS X)

Geezer13

Oct 30, 2007
there are numerous steps that you should take before upgrading to v1.1.1 if you are going to.

Unlocking/Modding is really easy on Mac OS X, but much more difficult on a Windows machine (most one click programs are written for OS X)
I'm using Windows Vista.

I'm quite happy with 1.02 for now, I'm about to use the 'no pc needed' 1.11 unlock from this site. I tried it last night but it wouldn't ring back after doing the jailbreakme link in safari - could be because I did change the screen lock to never.

Should I go ahead with the 1.11 unlocking guide then, for my 1.02 firmware?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
I'm using Windows Vista.

I'm quite happy with 1.02 for now, I'm about to use the 'no pc needed' 1.11 unlock from this site. I tried it last night but it wouldn't ring back after doing the jailbreakme link in safari - could be because I did change the screen lock to never.

Should I go ahead with the 1.11 unlocking guide then, for my 1.02 firmware?
Yep, it should hopefully all goe smoothly.

You shouldnt need any extra steps if you have never unlocked or modded before (if you have previously unlocked then you do need 2 take extra steps). ;)

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Last edited by a moderator:

Geezer13

Oct 30, 2007
Tried it without re-virginising - when I install apptapp in safari it does not ring back.

How do I revirginise then?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Tried it without re-virginising - when I install apptapp in safari it does not ring back.

How do I revirginise then?
Follow this guide ;)

I unlocked my 7th iPhone just an hour ago and gave the method you mentioned a try and also didn't receive the call back. I just went about downgrading it (it came standard as v1.1.1) then using iFuntastic one click jailbreak/upgrade.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Nope, cant do it - when I enter the phone IP into the WinSCP software it gives a network error
Have u restarted the phone since installing OpenSSH on your phone?

Also, please make sure you have the correct ip and are using the correct settings

SFTP <- Make sure it is set to SFTP and not just FTP
Username : root
Password : alpine
Port : 22

Geezer13

Oct 30, 2007
At the moment my phone is locked to the 'Activate iPhone/connect to iTunes screen' (the one with the world on it).

The phone originally had installer on it but since I had to a hard restore I have no idea if it is still there. Obviously I cant get access to the iPhones internal menu right now.

Geezer13

Oct 30, 2007
No closer with the WinSCP, every time I try and start off it gives the network error even though the IP details are right and the password and username are what the guide gives.

Geezer13

Oct 30, 2007
I'm pretty sure that once I get it virginised, the jailbreakme method will work.

The problem I'm now having is being unable to connect to the phone via WinSCP. I've disabled windows firewall and the firewall on my router and the IP is definetley correct.