Help with unlock

clark9825

Bronze
Feb 24, 2008
Hello everyone, I research this question but did not find a definitive answer and hope someone can help me. I recently sold my 1st gen 8gb iPhone on ebay and the buyer asked me to unlock and jailbreak it for him so after reading some posts on here i used quickpwn (seemed to be easy). I went through the steps to unlock and jailbreak and did not have any issues doing it. Sent out the phone to him and he put in his tmobile sim card and it is telling him to connect to iTunes and now is not happy because it appears not to be unlocked. One important piece of info is when I unlocked this phone I had my original sim card in the phone in which the service was cancelled because I upgraded to the 3g and left my old sim card in the unit when I did this. From what I read on hear as well as on google is should this process be repeated with his tmobile card installed? Any help would be appreciated.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
have you simply jailbroken it- or have you actually jailbroken and unlocked?

Jailbreaking doesn't mean the phone can support different network carriers. You need to perform and unlock as well

clark9825

Bronze
Feb 24, 2008
When I ran the quickpwn program I selected unlock and jailbreak then it asked me for two files the bl-39 and bl-46 files which I downloaded and it went through the rest of the process.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
did you insert a new sim card before you shipped it off to the new owner?

End of the day my friend, there is no reason why the new owner can't run QuickPwn by himself and do it all. I personally would tell him to crack on and do it, he bought it how he saw it :)

clark9825

Bronze
Feb 24, 2008
no i left the original sim in the phone (the sim that i ran the quickpwn on). I did give him the links to download quickpwn and told him to redo the process with his tmobile card in it. I was just wondering if there was something I did wrong so I know for the future. :)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't know what the problem is then, it should technically work, i don't want to spin you the wrong things to do as i'm not sure how the unlock works with the v1- i did it yonks ago.. i'm not sure if the baseband affects the unlock like the 3g version does- stopping yellowsn0w etc..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What FW did you have on the phone? 2.2, 2.2.1?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's why it won't work for him. The 2.2.1 FW update included a baseband upgrade that is currently "unlockable".

You could be a good Samaritan and refund the ebay buyer and sell it to someone that will use AT&T, but legally I don't think you have to.

N

Nadia159

That's why it won't work for him. The 2.2.1 FW update included a baseband upgrade that is currently "unlockable".

You could be a good Samaritan and refund the ebay buyer and sell it to someone that will use AT&T, but legally I don't think you have to.
you can use a magicsim card to unlock it and then you can use it again.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
If you agreed to sell him an "unlocked" iPhone then you need to tallk things over with him due to the fact that 2.2.1 cannot be unlocked except with a sim unlock. To my knowledge anyway. You should have done some more research on unlocking. I would refund the money due to my mistake if it was me.

clark9825

Bronze
Feb 24, 2008
Thanks for the tip I may recommend this option too him. Cut's into the profit alittle but worth it to keep the gentleman satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Before you do anything drastic there is an easy fix for your problem.
Just read this thread.... http://www.modmyi.com/forums/unlock...-error-after-quickpwn-2-1-unlock-2-0-2-a.html

Here's the fix for the "Different Sim Detected" error:

1. Download the patched "lockdown" file from here:
http://rs309.rapidshare.com/files/139572019/Lockdown.zip

2. SSH into your iPhone using WinSCP.

3. Navigate to /private/var/root/Library/ and copy Lockdown folder to your computer (for backup just in case).

4. Delete the Lockdown folder from your iPhone.

5. Upload the patched Lockdown folder and files to your iPhone to replace the Lockdown folder and files you just deleted.

6. Set the file permissions to 0644 for the Lockdown folder and all files in the folder (recursively).

7. Reboot iPhone.

That's it. Now just pop in any sim card and it will work.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
According to the dev-teams posting about the 1st gen iPhone, there is nothing to worry about with the baseband. 2.2.1 should software unlock with yellowsnw. Apple stopped updating the baseband of the 1st gen iPhone awhile ago.

iPhone 2G (1st Generation)
Update or Restore your iPhone 2G with iTunes then run QuickPwn to do the magic, ‘nuff said, you don’t need to worry about anything.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
According to the dev-teams posting about the 1st gen iPhone, there is nothing to worry about with the baseband. 2.2.1 should software unlock with yellowsnw. Apple stopped updating the baseband of the 1st gen iPhone awhile ago.

[/b]
Yellowsnow is for the 3G. You can use QuickPwn to unlock/jailbreak a 2G iPhone with 2.2.1

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yellowsnow is for the 3G. You can use QuickPwn to unlock/jailbreak a 2G iPhone with 2.2.1
Thanks for the corrction, never had a V1 so am only familiar with the 3G, my point, however, was that the V1 on 2.2.1 can still be unlocked.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I've done it many times using QuickPwn. After your finished unlocking/jailbreaking it all you have to do is replace the Lockdown folder/files (as I posted above) and you won't get the "Different Sim Detected" error.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Before you do anything drastic there is an easy fix for your problem.
Just read this thread.... http://www.modmyi.com/forums/unlock...-error-after-quickpwn-2-1-unlock-2-0-2-a.html

Here's the fix for the "Different Sim Detected" error:

1. Download the patched "lockdown" file from here:
http://rs309.rapidshare.com/files/139572019/Lockdown.zip

2. SSH into your iPhone using WinSCP.

3. Navigate to /private/var/root/Library/ and copy Lockdown folder to your computer (for backup just in case).

4. Delete the Lockdown folder from your iPhone.

5. Upload the patched Lockdown folder and files to your iPhone to replace the Lockdown folder and files you just deleted.

6. Set the file permissions to 0644 for the Lockdown folder and all files in the folder (recursively).

7. Reboot iPhone.

That's it. Now just pop in any sim card and it will work.
Using CyberDuck (Mac) I was only able to set the permissions to 064 recursively. Not 0644 recursively. Will that be okay?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Oh, well it's too late I guess. I made it 064 and already gave it to my friend. It worked as soon as he stuck his SIM in.