Help with windows error please!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
So I reboot my pc and when i start up it's goin pretty slow - so i goto task manager and look and system idle process is eating up 95% of my CPU - it has never done this before and it wont let me close the task! everything loads up fine but the hour glass pops up over and over and over and i don't know how to get rid of it - please help me

psychoticpanda

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
New York
i have that problem a lot. my computer takes forEVER to start up. i need to get a mac. ASAP because i think my computer is infected with a lot of viruses. :oops:

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
when i deleted one of the SVChost.exe files it went away - weird
i can actually use the computer now, no spyware or virus's found but sick of PC problems, after 11 years i think its time to change to mac...

psychoticpanda

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
New York
when i deleted one of the SVChost.exe files it went away - weird
i can actually use the computer now, no spyware or virus's found but sick of PC problems, after 11 years i think its time to change to mac...
my computer cant find ONE virus or spyware im using BitDefender. Im pretty sure i have a virus still. it must be a good one. =/ but anyways good choice im gunna switch to mac soon also. my whole family has.. i just have to find how to make 2000$ :laugh2:

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
System Idle Process just represents free system resources.
[correct me if I am wrong]

Don't you just love windows. I reinstall XP every 3 months on all
my comps to keep them running smooth.

*EDIT*
Also, before randomly closing processes, make sure you know what they are
to avoid problems. http://www.processlibrary.com/ is a good place
to go to research them.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
ok ill give you the quick rundown to fix a slow booting pc...

download these programs

ad-aware
spybot search & destroy
ccleaner
(all can be found on www.downloads.com for free)

update them all...
boot into safe mode...(tap f8 as computer starts up and pick safe mode)

run ad-aware scan
run spybot and click immunize and then the green immunize button.. let that finish then click search and destroy and scan
run ccleaner analyze and then clear them out... then click issues,scan,fix

reboot after you removed everything...

now when windows starts up click start then run and type MSCONFIG and hit enter

under the startup tab you can shut off anything you don't use... if your not sure and shut it off its fine you can reboot and turn it back on with a checkmark... you can even shut everything off... its just the icons next to the clock tho SOME programs need to be running to work like norton or mcafee or any other antivirus so try to avoid those but like i said you can flip them back on...

now reboot and enjoy not not so slow anymore pc...

theres more you can do but this should help a lot

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
system idle process is eating up 95% of my CPU
It's completely normal. System Idle is when nothing is running your CPU. The larger the percentage, the better your PC is running. Worry when IE is running your CPU that much, or McAfee.
Also you should be checking to see what's in your startup. from the runline type msconfig and hit enter. I suggest looking things over before you start randomly unchecking anything, as this could cause MAJOR headaches.
And svchost.exe is a normal process, and can have several instances running at once. Beware of svchosts.exe, as that is spyware.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
It's completely normal. System Idle is when nothing is running your CPU. The larger the percentage, the better your PC is running. Worry when IE is running your CPU that much, or McAfee.
Also you should be checking to see what's in your startup. from the runline type msconfig and hit enter. I suggest looking things over before you start randomly unchecking anything, as this could cause MAJOR headaches.
And svchost.exe is a normal process, and can have several instances running at once. Beware of svchosts.exe, as that is spyware.
see what happens when i post at almost 3am... i over shoot the obvious by skimming the question... yes he is 100% correct that system idle is normal and the higher the better that means your system is not being used up for uneeded processes.... but the tips i tossed together will get things running a lot smoother for anyone who is having issuses with a slowed down pc...