Helpful info about people who sold a V1 phone

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Just registered, because I thought this might be useful to some of you:

A friend of mine just sold a V1 iPhone on ebay for a nice amount. He did it so he had funds for the 3G iPhone. However, since AT&T released their pricing plans and had the requirement for a V1 phone, and he wasn't eligible for an upgrade, he called AT&T.

Surprisingly, AT&T customer service knew all about the new pricing and plans, and after the rep talked to his/her surpervisor, he was able to get back onto the AT&T iPhone plan (he has being using a treo since), and they said within two days, he would be eligible for the 3G iPhone discount (i.e. it would show up when he logged into the site).

Hope this helps some people who are still in limbo...

shillingem

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Greensboro, NC
To clarify a little on your previous post, you can sell your iPhone on ebay, but you must keep the data plan on your account in order for you to be eligible. I sold my phone about a week ago and just paid the data plan for the time I haven't had it so that I could easily upgrade. Hope this helps.
-E

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
To clarify a little on your previous post, you can sell your iPhone on ebay, but you must keep the data plan on your account in order for you to be eligible. I sold my phone about a week ago and just paid the data plan for the time I haven't had it so that I could easily upgrade. Hope this helps.
-E
Actually, that is not correct, and that was the point of my post. He had both a treo and an iPhone, sold his iPhone on ebay, and then changed his data plan to the 3G treo plan. He did not have an iPhone plan on his AT&T login. But when he called AT&T customer service, and they saw that he had an iPhone previously, they said they would change his upgrade eligibility so he could get a subsidized 3G iPhone. Get it?

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Ok maybe I'm an idiot but I'm very confused..can someone explain it to me like I'm a three year old :)

My v1 is on sale NOW on ebay, the bidding ends on the 7th...do I need to contact AT&T and let them know anything or can I just leave everything AS IS and put my sim card in my old phone and get the 3G on the 11th..anyone?

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Ok maybe I'm an idiot but I'm very confused..can someone explain it to me like I'm a three year old :)

My v1 is on sale NOW on ebay, the bidding ends on the 7th...do I need to contact AT&T and let them know anything or can I just leave everything AS IS and put my sim card in my old phone and get the 3G on the 11th..anyone?
Ok, here is the easiest way to handle it.

Once it sells, and you ship out the product, do not change your iPhone data plan! If you keep your iPhone data plan, and it shows up on your AT&T login site, you have nothing to worry about.

My scenario only comes into play if you sell your iPhone, change your data plan to a non iPhone data plan and are not eligible for an upgrade. Only then would you have to call AT&T, and request to get the subsidy upgrade.

Hope that clears things up

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Ok, here is the easiest way to handle it.

Once it sells, and you ship out the product, do not change your iPhone data plan! If you keep your iPhone data plan, and it shows up on your AT&T login site, you have nothing to worry about.

My scenario only comes into play if you sell your iPhone, change your data plan to a non iPhone data plan and are not eligible for an upgrade. Only then would you have to call AT&T, and request to get the subsidy upgrade.

Hope that clears things up
Yes it sure does...Thanks!

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Ya, I have had a bj2 for like 2 months, and like a month ago i turned off my iPhone data to save money until the release, but then the next day i realized that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade, I called att two days later and told them that I was using the bj2 as a replacement for my iPhone while it was being repaired. I said I get my iPhone back tomorrow so can you turn the internet back to iPhone data. Now it says that my account is eligible for an upgrade. Good thing I did too, I am sure their will be a swarm of people doing that too, so if you are in the same kind of boat, hurry and call before they make some new rules!

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
i have the same problem i sold mine and cancled the iPhone plan about 3 weeks ago because the at&T guy said it would be okay but i called today to make sure id still eb able to get the iPhone 3g and he said i was not eligible since i cancled my plan which is bullshit i had my iPhone since day one and now that i sold it to get the iPhone 3g i cant now.... the guys said there was nothing he could do about it. how did your friend get them to re activate his iPhone plan?

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
i have the same problem i sold mine and cancled the iPhone plan about 3 weeks ago because the at&T guy said it would be okay but i called today to make sure id still eb able to get the iPhone 3g and he said i was not eligible since i cancled my plan which is bullshit i had my iPhone since day one and now that i sold it to get the iPhone 3g i cant now.... the guys said there was nothing he could do about it. how did your friend get them to re activate his iPhone plan?
Call att and tell them you are about to get your iPhone back tomorrow because it was being repaired and you need to turn back on the iPhone data for it. If the first person doesn't wanna do it, call back again and again, and again.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
Call att and tell them you are about to get your iPhone back tomorrow because it was being repaired and you need to turn back on the iPhone data for it. If the first person doesn't wanna do it, call back again and again, and again.
you think theyll do it even tho i cancled it 3 weeks ago?

May 6, 2007
United States
you think theyll do it even tho i cancled it 3 weeks ago?
I think they will. They don't really seem to care as much about timing and such, as long as you are willing to pay for the data plan. I doubt they would look back far in the record, but it's possible. Good luck, and give it a shot to see what happens.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I was using my blackjack 2 for a month and they did it, trust me, someone there will do it. Call and hope for an old lady. ;)

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Ok clear this up for me. As long as I have my iPhone plan then im cool for an Upgrade?

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
My phone was stolen last week and ATT site is closed for "maintenance" I hope then bastards didn't change my plan when i suspended my line for 1 day.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
urgh i called them and said what you told me to that its comming back from repair soon. and the guy said they couldnt do it because i don't have my iPhone with me. so i said i have the serial number i can give you that and they said that it doesn't matter when i get my iPhone back i just need to activate it on iTunes and itll add the plan back on.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Ya, younger guys do that, Id try again. I had to try twice. If it fails, do you have a friend with an iPhone? Only problem I can see is once activated which they are from Apple repair you don't have to activate it again. Maybe use a friends and reinstall 1.1.4 and and set it up as a new iPhone plan, it should allow you to put it on again, but they come activated from Apple anyway, maybe try telling att that.

Oh yeah, did you try again calling back and tell them you got your phone back today and you want to put the internet back on, since you have the serial that would make sense.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Its not called the iPhone plan is it?
Rate Plan:

Nation 900 Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes

Data Usage

*Data usage is measured in megabytes and reflects an estimate of the usage since your last billing cycle.
USAGE TYPE INCLUDED USED REMAINING OVERAGE internet media net
GPRS WAP UNLIMITED - MBRH Unlimited 31.98MB Unlimited
IMB UNLTD SMS/MMS DOM - A4N1J/AMS3 Unlimited 558 Unlimited

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
i think its called iPhone data/200 text

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
damn now theyre office is closed lol. ahh im goin crazy