helpppp!11

Mar 29, 2008
OK - So I was washing some dishes and I got a text. Next thing I know the iPhone is in the sink. I pulled it out, but it was going psycho because it was wet. I immediately tried to turn it off, but no dice. I quickly took it apart to dry it, hoping to save it, and in the process (I'd never done this or even read about how to do it) I managed to rip the ribbon cable on the back cover that has the headphone jack, power button, etc on it. Also, I broke the antenna cable that goes to the bottom left when looking at the phone from the back. I was able to strip the wire, clear out the connector hole, and pinch the wire back into the connector and reconnect it. All of that, and I still have "no service." My wifi works fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
Is the water indicator red? If not take it to Apple and tell them it just stopped working!

Mar 29, 2008
It's pretty obvious that I opened it.

Also, I have a crack in it from a drop. They told me last week it would be $199 to get it replaced, but I don't know if that still applies now that I opened it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Geez dude! That's a lot of damage in the span of... what, 5 minutes? Next time you need to relax, force the iPhone off by pressing and holding the home and lock buttons simultaneously for 6 secs. Then dry the phone the best you can and put it in a bag of dried rice for a week before you turn it on. It's worked for others.

In this case... I am sorry to say... I think you're kinda screwed.

Mar 29, 2008
Geez dude! That's a lot of damage in the span of... what, 5 minutes? Next time you need to relax, force the iPhone off by pressing and holding the home and lock buttons simultaneously for 6 secs. Then dry the phone the best you can and put it in a bag of dried rice for a week before you turn it on. It's worked for others.

In this case... I am sorry to say... I think you're kinda screwed.
I tried to force it off. It didn't work. I'm pretty sure it was about to be dead and I managed to save it. My sister's suffered a similar fate a couple weeks ago. I guess I'll just have to buy a new one. It was my fault anyway. I was just hoping there was a chance I could get the cell service working since I got everything else working.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Wow sorry man... I was going to also mention the rice trick... I think you need to go out an get another... if $ is an issue go for a refurb for $250 and unlock it and then sell on ebay.. with the profit you can probably come close to the amount of a $399 non refurb

Mar 29, 2008
Woo.... it just came up with 1 bar a few minutes ago and I was able to see my missed calls and texts. I think I can fix it by replacing the antenna cable.