Helpppppp!!!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
I am in panic mode big time, please help ! I went to Synch my iPhone tonight, and a pop-up button with the reading "The iPhone can not be synched because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes library (5.88GB required, 1.40 GB available)" and then it says "Do not warn me again". So I click on the button, though it seems weird. Well it wiped all of the music and videos off of my iPod part of my iPhone ! Now I think the iPhone thinks the phone has 5.88GB on it, yet everything is gone, so I can't synch everything back. This is an 8GB iPhone, so I have plenty of room. Is there a way to get everything back ?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Are the songs and files still on your computer in iTunes? As long as they are still on your computer then you really don't have to worry. I would first make sure you've backed up all of your contacts and other vital information such as pictures you've taken on the iPhone and then try a restore. Once the restore is done then I would try synching again because the iPhone might just be confused and maybe a restore would clear out the "cobwebs".

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
Are the songs and files still on your computer in iTunes? As long as they are still on your computer then you really don't have to worry. I would first make sure you've backed up all of your contacts and other vital information such as pictures you've taken on the iPhone and then try a restore. Once the restore is done then I would try synching again because the iPhone might just be confused and maybe a restore would clear out the "cobwebs".
Everything (songs and videos) is still in my iTunes. If I restore, do I have to do everything again ? Such as put all of my phone contacts back in (I did it by hand, I have a word document taken from my Treo contacts), redo my email, etc ? I'm afraid to restore if I have to do those things again, is there another way ? Anyone, please help, I want all my stuff back, the easiest way possible !

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I am in panic mode big time, please help ! I went to Synch my iPhone tonight, and a pop-up button with the reading "The iPhone can not be synched because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes library (5.88GB required, 1.40 GB available)" and then it says "Do not warn me again". So I click on the button, though it seems weird. Well it wiped all of the music and videos off of my iPod part of my iPhone ! Now I think the iPhone thinks the phone has 5.88GB on it, yet everything is gone, so I can't synch everything back. This is an 8GB iPhone, so I have plenty of room. Is there a way to get everything back ?
What iTunes is telling you is that ON TOP of what was already in your iPhone, to add whatever you were trying to put into your iPhone you ONLY had 1.40 GB available, but to put everything you want into the phone would require an additional 5.88 GB of space. So.. in all you were trying to force 13.88 GB into 8 GB of memory. Once thing I would deffinately do is check how big your movies are. You can also edit what is sent to your iPhone by unchecking the boxes next to the songs in your music library.. So any song that does not have a check next to it will not be sent to your iPhone. Same thing with movies.

I personally feel your pain, I have a hard time balancing everything.

Hope this helps out!

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
What iTunes is telling you is that ON TOP of what was already in your iPhone, to add whatever you were trying to put into your iPhone you ONLY had 1.40 GB available, but to put everything you want into the phone would require an additional 5.88 GB of space. So.. in all you were trying to force 13.88 GB into 8 GB of memory. Once thing I would deffinately do is check how big your movies are. You can also edit what is sent to your iPhone by unchecking the boxes next to the songs in your music library.. So any song that does not have a check next to it will not be sent to your iPhone. Same thing with movies.

I personally feel your pain, I have a hard time balancing everything.

Hope this helps out!
I appreciate your response, but that's not what is actually happening. There is NOTHING on my iPod part of my iPhone anymore. No music, no video, nothing. What is happening is, on iTunes, when you click on the summary part of scott's iPhone, it shows 5.88GB being used with 1.40GB left open, even though thats not true.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I would try doing a Hard reset, then re-syncing.

Hard reset is don't by holding the top sleep button and home button (the round button below the screen ) at the same time until you see the Apple symbol appear. Might not hurt to reboot your computer as well.

Let us know how it comes out.

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
Thanks guys ! This is the best, most knowledgeable iPhone forum out there. I called Apple, and all we can do was restore. I thought for sure my contacts and email would be wiped out. Oddly enough, after the restore, all that had to be done was syncing my music and videos. My email and contacts by some miracle were still on the phone ! Being the computer illiterate old man that I am, I had put my contacts in by hand, so I was worried I'd have to do it again, but it seems like the restore only affected my iPod part of the iPhone. Once again, thatnks for everybody's help, you guys and gals rock !

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Just for future reference anytime you sync the phone even for just a few songs the entire phone gets synced. Everything from contacts, to safari webpages, to notes. you may not see it, but all that stuff is saved in a backup file.