Here is my feel good story!

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
First off I'm a Mac guy through and through for about 15 years.

When the iPhone came out originally I wanted to get one (bad) but my #1 priority in a phone is reception. I read horror story after horror story about AT&T, dropped calls, poor call quality etc. So I didn't do it. I use my cell phone in my businesss and it's just that important. To complicate matters I have been with Sprint for about 16 years. I have/had a Treo 700p and it works great for me on the Sprint Network with one horrible exception. At my home office I get sketchy reception and it has been driving me to drink. Dropped calls galore. Can't carry on any sort of conversation without dropping a call but it's intermittent. My wife's Katana phone does the same thing at our house so I know it's not the hardware. So I had no faith that AT&T would be any better.

Here is the incredible part. I went to the AT&T store just to talk to them about the 30 day return policy, # porting procedure and that sort of thing. I was whining so much about reception that I think the guy knew I really wanted to buy. I asked him half joking to let me take the store demo (which he had in his pocket) to my house for a couple of hours to test it out. He said "we never let the phone out of the store". I continued to shrug my shoulders and tell the guy what a pain in the ass it would be to get it and have to return it and all that. He said "let me go and talk to the manager". When he returned he said "OK...if you can leave a copy of your DL and an imprint of your credit card the manager said we can do it". He even did the credit check and left it in the "pending" mode. Took about 1 minute. WOW...after all the terrible customer service stories I heard. So we did it and I left with the phone. Went home and to my amazement the phone worked great at home. Great call quality 3/4 bars most of the places in the house. I was very happy.

I went back and bought the phone. He suggested I not port over my number until I was 100% sure. My Sprint contract is up on February 1st. So I have been using my new iPhone for two weeks now. It's wonderful. I have dropped one call in an area where nobody can get cell reception so not surprised there. Other than that it's remarkable. I hate my Treo now. :D

As for the camera...ummm BFD. MMS...not important. Copy and Paste? Never used it once in my life on my phone. Not an issue.

It's true. The iPhone may not be for everybody but it's perfect for me and I'm sorry I waited so long. I am completely happy with it and will be porting my number on February 2nd and putting my boat anchor Treo in the bone yard! :p

The moral of the story for those on the fence is that until you try it and give it a good solid test drive you just won't know how it will work for you! It's the only way to know for sure. Do it. You have very little to lose and a lot to gain.

The iPhone is the truth!

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Glad you like it! I did so much research before taking the plunge into the iPhone. I knew it so well even before I bought it.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I was worse!

Same here.. i actually watched the january keynote everyday from jan to july!:eek:
Yeah I did the same lol, except I also watched their previous keynotes. This was kind of my first Apple product that I had saved up for, the others were just iPods that were for my birthday. And I just use my dad's MacBook now and again (I want one). My main machine is a PC :(. I'm ready for the switch, just don't know when. Maybe in College. I'm in Year 10 at the moment.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Glad you love it!
sadly Ive had my iPhone 3g since jan 3
and it already has a big crack on it.
I want my V1 back now :'(

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Glad you love it!
sadly Ive had my iPhone 3g since jan 3
and it already has a big crack on it.
I want my V1 back now :'(
Where is the crack? If the crack is on the back, you can indefinitely get a new iPhone for free, due to the fact that it's a manufacturing issue. If it's on the front screen you can get it repaired for $200 USD.

Just call Apple at 1-800-MY-APPLE or go to your closest Apple retail store with a booking. Good luck! I hope you get it fixed some way or another.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
No, its right on the vibrating toggle button. extends about a bit over a quarter of an inch.
No, the screen is flawless, besides the fact dust is under it. I can't get it exchanged because
I don't have a contract under it. Im using PAYG under it, and for some reason
I didn't need to activate it when I inserted my sim. And no it's not jailbroken

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Wow that's a funny story, nice in the same time, I never knew AT&T would let you do that. I'm glad the service is working very fine for you, and congratulations for getting AT&T :p.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Just try going to an Apple shop and don't tell them anything about your contract. It's worth a try and I think they will replace it.