Here we go again...Apple' typical behavior

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wouldn't say NFC is gimmicky; I'd just say that it has had questionable security in the past. Android didn't invent NFC. One of the Android phone manufacturers just used technology that was made years before by other companies, whereas Apple chose not to do so (at least not yet). This is far from theft. Going by that logic we could say that Apple stole the idea for the telephone from Alexander Grahm Bell.

The history of NFC:
http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/history-nfc.html

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
After many of us bashed Android and their "gimmicky" features, it looks like Apple is trying to steal and rebrand NFC. I wonder what kind of silly name they will give it and how many of us will be impressed by this blatant stolen feature that we called "gimmicky" before LOL. Read on:
http://m.macnn.com/articles/13/06/04/could.be.used.to.share.files.between.macs.and.ios.devices/
1) Who bashed NFC? (Although I wouldn't be surprised if Android's implementation of NFC seems gimmicky).

2) Apple isn't "stealing NFC". They're patenting a method of data transfer that uses NFC. Big difference. Think AirDrop in OSX - it uses wifi as a medium for data transfer, but airdrop itself isn't "wifi".

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
What's the matter with you?

Sent using iCafe app
Hey Honda, I'm ok, I'm just remembering some conversations where people bashed the GSIII for example for having gimmicky features like NFC and imagine those same people being impressed if Apple adds that to the iPhone. I'm just trying to make small talk lol. I am an Apple fan but I have tried other devices with a very open mind. I happen to want NFC on the iPhone.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I use both Apple and Android devices. I really enjoy purchasing snacks and drinks from the vending machines at my workplace by just tapping my device on the panel. I always get a "what the heck did you just do?" from coworkers. ;)

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
IMO Apple is not "stealing" NFC, I think they were waiting to get it right and for it to have more widespread uses. Can't wait to see what they call it though...

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
When Samsung first included NFC in their Galaxy phones there was very little use for it. We're still probably a year away from any widespread NFC use. I believe it will be a huge revolution in how we use our mobiles, but it's very early in the game.