Here's one for ya.. a Google/contact/sync type question.

Not sure what category this belongs in, feel free to move it if needed.

Ok.. take a deep breath and here we go:

1) I set up a gmail account for Dad so he could sync his contacts/calendars on his iPhone.

2) Tried logging into his gmail account to export the current contact list. I can't remember the password and (of course) neither can he.

3) Have tried a BUNCH of things to get the contacts to sync TO the phone and can't.

* can't sync them FROM the iPhone to anything (Outlook, Yahoo!, etc.)

* Contact list ON the phone won't sync with the Gmail contact list

Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to get the contacts saved or transfered somewhere?

I've tried getting a hold of Gmail, but they apparently don't exist when it comes to support. They have a miriad of forms and everything that keep pointing to the same non-answers. I filled out a form and "Might" be getting an answer within 7-10 days.

Thanks!

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Go to m.google.com/sync on your computer and follow the instructions... It should work (it did for me)... Good luck...

Tried that already. No email, no "answer the security question" no nothing. I think that their form/system might be broken. I've pretty much given up on the "trying to get the password" avenue! :p

I've moved onto the "there's GOT to be a way to get these contacts off of the phone" side of the street.

It's looking more and more like pencil and paper time. :)

Just an update to anyone who (God forbid) should run into this problem.

(I tested this on my own phone and it worked)

I found an app in the app store called iDrive Lite. (FREE!)

Fired it up and hit the "Backup" button

I then did a "Wipe all and restore"

I verified that I had all of my contacts.

I then deleted my GoogleSync account from the iPhone

Checked and all of my contacts were still there! (Yay!)

I re-added the GoogleSync account and now I have the contacts in two groups. "On The iPhone" and "GoogleSync"

SUCCESS! :)

Now assuming that I can still connect on Dad's phone tomorrow I should be good to go.