Here's why i'm not getting iPhone2.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
iPhone3.

if Apple keeps releasing an iPhone a year, and demanding a two-year contract with its purchase... then we'll keep getting deeper and deeper into contracts. no thanks. I mean, i don't have a problem with ATT, but there's no way i'm going to start this cycle. I would like 16GBs, and 3G would be nice... but the fact is i'm stil pretty happy with my v1 iPhone. On v2, there's not much to complain about hardware-wise, so just imagine what surprises there might be for v3.

so... suppose v3 comes out sometime next year, my contract (as well as most other v1 owners') will then be coming to an end... that way i'm not 2-years deep into a contract yet AGAIN wanting the new iPhone, and being told i need to increase that AGAIN by two years.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
iPhone3.

if Apple keeps releasing an iPhone a year, and demanding a two-year contract with its purchase... then we'll keep getting deeper and deeper into contracts. no thanks. I mean, i don't have a problem with ATT, but there's no way i'm going to start this cycle. I would like 16GBs, and 3G would be nice... but the fact is i'm stil pretty happy with my v1 iPhone. On v2, there's not much to complain about hardware-wise, so just imagine what surprises there might be for v3.

so... suppose v3 comes out sometime next year, my contract (as well as most other v1 owners') will then be coming to an end... that way i'm not 2-years deep into a contract yet AGAIN wanting the new iPhone, and being told i need to increase that AGAIN by two years.
Maybe this will change your mind, maybe not, but when you get the new iPhone, you will not ADD to your contract, but replace it and start the 2 years over from the date you sign. So, if you have a contract that is 1 year up on the day you get your iPhone 3g, then you'd effectively just start a new contract over again and be locked in until july 2010.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i've heard differently.

is there a link to an official document about this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm with you, hips.

I'm happy I bought the first gen.... will gladly use it through the second gen.... am looking forward to the third gen.

Maybe by then the 3G network in the US will be mature and more affordable?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Hopefully itll just renew the contract, not extend.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
oh yeah, i forgot to mention i'll also be saving $10 month.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Maybe this will change your mind, maybe not, but when you get the new iPhone, you will not ADD to your contract, but replace it and start the 2 years over from the date you sign. So, if you have a contract that is 1 year up on the day you get your iPhone 3g, then you'd effectively just start a new contract over again and be locked in until july 2010.
He is right but I cant find the link either.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I'm with you, hips.

I'm happy I bought the first gen.... will gladly use it through the second gen.... am looking forward to the third gen.

Maybe by then the 3G network in the US will be mature and more affordable?
I concur!

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
That's great, but that's the least of my issues.

Here's why I'm not standing in line for the iPhone 3G - despite much anticipation.

1) The firmware 2.0 will bring my current iPhone up to speed with regards to Exchange support and native applications. That's my biggest gripe against the current iPhone and it looks to be resolved.

2) The 3G service covers a very-very minuscule portion of our nation. In the area where I live 3G isn't even offered and probably won't be any time soon. While I work in Chicago, this is useless to me as most phone service within the city sucks (even Edge) and is spotty at best. But since I have a WiFi network connection in my office, 3G really is kind of pointless, especially if I have to pay more per month for the service I will have limited access to.

3) The 3G phone has little that sets it apart from the current iPhone. For me, 3G is mostly useless. That means I'm upgrading for a GPS which I have little or no use for outside of the "cool factor". Is that worth the added monthly expense for a feature I'll rarely, if ever, use?

4) The same processor, camera, lack of video, lack of MMS, and lack of cut-n-paste means the new phone is really of not much use to me for the money. Hell, even the style is the same minus the tappered edges. Whoo-hoo!

I'm a die hard iPhone fan but the new 3G phone leaves me less than impressed.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure I've read that it renews that contract somewhere. I'll search for a link.

Despite not having 3G, everything else the new iPhone offers is well worth a new contract and $200. Just my opinion.

- John

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
I'm pretty sure I've read that it renews that contract somewhere. I'll search for a link.

Despite not having 3G, everything else the new iPhone offers is well worth a new contract and $200. Just my opinion.

- John
I agree, John, but in my opinion, it's only well worth it for someone who doesn't already have an iPhone.

BTW - you are in Charleston, WV? I swear the last time I looked it was Boston. This is weird, because I grew up near Boston and now live in WV...

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
There's an article here: http://www.i4u.com/article17970.html

Why would it matter if you wait another year or do it now? Unless next year's phone is "off the hook" and no such upgrade path exists at that time, you will have lost nothing (except the $10 a month for the faster pipe).

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I remember Engadget confirming that the new contract replaces the old one.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the 3G yet but I know if I was already 1 year into an iPhone contract then I wouldn't be bothering. You'd have to be pretty blind to dedicate yourself to an iPhone for two years just for spotty 3G connectivity and GPS that doesn't even include turn-by-turn directions. Just keep the slower EDGE and use the tower triangulation. Silly to sign up for the iPhone for two more years when Android will be out in six months and Windows Mobile 7 shortly later (despite your feelings about 6.1, 7 looks good), there's going to be some serious competition to the touchscreen crown soon.

Personally I'm still tied up between the iPhone 3G (nice interface, app store and lots of up-to-date third party support) and an 18 month contract or the Samsung Omnia (TouchWiz, widgets, better camera, bluetooth, MMS, whatever else Apple decided we don't need) and a 12 month contract.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I agree, John, but in my opinion, it's only well worth it for someone who doesn't already have an iPhone.
I think you are right on the money with that statement. The new phone is not designed or marketed to replace Version 1. It is basically 90% of the same phone but at a much reduced cost. It is designed and marketed to appeal to the population that does not already have one because they couldn't afford it when first released. It is actually a pretty good strategy. Version 1 took the world by storm and people scrounged to get enough money to have one. Now in addition to the 6 million version 1 users, this more affordable version of the phone will add potentially millions more on top of that. Apple will take over the cell market and be one of, if not THE, market dominators kicking LG, Motorola, etc.. out of the top slot.
I hope that after this they will change their design plans and work on a revision of the initial design and come out with a version 3 that has the missing functions that most users have asked to have added.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I probably wont get the 3G right away, but I think its worth it.

Just because you have a 2 year agreement doesn't mean you are stuck.
If you sign an agreement and say you get the 16gb phone, you will spend $300. If after a year you want to change companies you just sell your phone. You could probably get around $200 or so and that will be your cancellation fee.

There you go, you are out of your contract and free to go anywhere else and sign a new one

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think you are right on the money with that statement. The new phone is not designed or marketed to replace Version 1. It is basically 90% of the same phone but at a much reduced cost. It is designed and marketed to appeal to the population that does not already have one because they couldn't afford it when first released. It is actually a pretty good strategy. Version 1 took the world by storm and people scrounged to get enough money to have one. Now in addition to the 6 million version 1 users, this more affordable version of the phone will add potentially millions more on top of that. Apple will take over the cell market and be one of, if not THE, market dominators kicking LG, Motorola, etc.. out of the top slot.
I hope that after this they will change their design plans and work on a revision of the initial design and come out with a version 3 that has the missing functions that most users have asked to have added.
Nailed it with that statement. I also think a lot of people are in for a shock when they actually see the phone and see how cheap I believe it is going to look and feel.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i've heard differently.

is there a link to an official document about this?
not an official link, but pretty close. also seen pretty much the same said on boygenius and engadget.

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/att-subscribers-can-replace-th.html

AT&T subscribers can replace their current contracts if they upgrade to the 3G iPhone

5:14 PM Tue, Jun 10, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Victor Godinez
News tips
Several commenters have asked how AT&T will handle current AT&T cell subscribers who want to upgrade to the new 3G iPhone.
So I asked AT&T spokeswoman Sarah Andreani.

Her response:
If a current AT&T subscriber would like to purchase the 3G iPhone, they would sign up for a new two-year contract, which would replace their current contract.​
So if you have a year (or however long) remaining on your current AT&T contract, but want to upgrade to the 3G iPhone when it comes out July 11, you won't have to tack on another two years to your current deal.
You'll basically just cancel your old contract without penalty and start a new, two-year iPhone contract.