Heroes of Might and Magic II port available!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
EDIT 6/30/2009: Please see the post below for information on a real port of Heroes II coming to iPhone.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I don't think this port is for the iPhone/iPod Touch. Someone gave me this link from a forum of people discussing porting Heroes II to the iPhone/iPod Touch and I just assumed it was for that platform but it looks like it's for Windows (which doesn't make sense since Heroes II was written for Windows). Anyway, a port would be nice if anyone is up to it.

Alright guys, I don't know about you but I LOVED this game when I was a kid. After playing TapDefense I suddenly remembered Heroes II and longed for an iPhone/iPod Touch port. Well after one minute of googling, I found someone who ported it. Problem is, you need a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch, something I have avoided. But wow, this could change everything.

Can someone with a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch try out the port and tell me if it's any good? A YouTube video would be awesome, if possible.

Here's the download link. And here's the release notes on this build:

Posted By: revvy
Date: 2008-11-20 05:36
Summary: New fheroes2 development build released It's been one month since the last build release of fheroes2, and here are the changes since then:

* AI in battle! You can now enjoy epic battles against monster armies scattered across the map.
* High resolution improvements - more map viewing, less scrolling.
* Day and month events
* Movement distance calculation improvements
* Environmental sound and music fixes
* Digging for the ultimate artifact
* Actions for many more map locations, including Xanadu, abandoned mines, graveyards, pyramids, Magellan's Maps, hill forts, foundries, artesian springs, whirlpools, and more
* Working hero trading screen
* Many graphical fixes (froth around moving boats!)
* Much, much more!

fheroes2 is becoming closer and closer to the complete Heroes of Might and Magic II package with every release, but we can always use more help! Coming up in the next few months, expect to see changes relating to localization, further improvements and bug fixes in battles, more work on magic, and castle battles. Until then, go ahead, give it a whirl!

-- The fheroes2 team

Last edited by a moderator:

jdm

Dec 9, 2008
As it happens, I wrote that announcement, and no, fheroes2 is not a port to the iPhone. In fact, I can't even envision how such a game would work; it seems to me that the interface is simply too big to be able to fit the necessary information onto the iPhone screen. I'm a pretty poor one to pass judgment, however, seeing as I've never used one before :) If you want to toss some thoughts around, however, I'm happy to entertain the idea and see if we, the fheroes2 team, can do something about it in the future!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If I knew what kind of game it was, I'd be more able to toss some ideas. I checked out fheroes2, but it doesn't run without the game data, and I don't happen to have the original. Are there any free maps available to demonstrate?

I don't think a big interface needs to be shrunk onto an iPhone screen - there are many ways I can think of to come up with creative alternatives. Tapping to view details of an enemy or structure, as is done in TapDefense, for example, will bring up the details in place of the bottom toolbar, and slide back out of the way when deselected. Anyways, that's just one of many. I'd need to get a feel for Heroes before I can provide any meaningful analysis

jdm

Dec 9, 2008
Unfortunately you also need all of the game assets (art, animations, etc) to be able to do anything with a map if I sent you one. This page has a bunch of screenshots which show the majority of the gameplay. Heroes of Might and Magic II is a turn-based strategy game in which you send your heroes around the map to collect treasure, do battle with monsters, and so forth.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If I knew what kind of game it was, I'd be more able to toss some ideas.
Fury,

Heroes II is essentially an RPG, but is basically the funnest game I've ever played and I never get into RPGs. If you're interested, drop me a PM with your email and I'll email you a copy (since Heroes II is abandonware, it is free to distribute.)

As it happens, I wrote that announcement, and no, fheroes2 is not a port to the iPhone. In fact, I can't even envision how such a game would work; it seems to me that the interface is simply too big to be able to fit the necessary information onto the iPhone screen. I'm a pretty poor one to pass judgment, however, seeing as I've never used one before :) If you want to toss some thoughts around, however, I'm happy to entertain the idea and see if we, the fheroes2 team, can do something about it in the future!
Jdm,

I know this is a little off topic from iPhone discussions, but I have some questions about your fheroes2 project:

1. What exactly is the purpose of the fheroes2 project?
2. Since Heroes II is already Windows based, what exactly are you porting?

If we can answer these questions, maybe we can spark some more interest in an iPhone port.

jdm

Dec 9, 2008
Jdm,

I know this is a little off topic from iPhone discussions, but I have some questions about your fheroes2 project:

1. What exactly is the purpose of the fheroes2 project?
2. Since Heroes II is already Windows based, what exactly are you porting?

If we can answer these questions, maybe we can spark some more interest in an iPhone port.
fheroes2 is a complete rewrite of the game and editor in an open source, portable fashion. Yes, Heroes II works on Windows, but it doesn't work well - music can be glitchy, CD audio almost never works, the resolution is limited, etc. We're adding the abilities to play on any OS that supports SDL (ie. Windows, Linux, MacOS, and more!), plus supporting both 32 and 64 bit architectures, and allowing higher resolutions (1280x1024 and greater).

I saw originally that you questioned the legality of the project. I'm not a lawyer, but to my mind, since we're not distributing any original game content, all we're doing is adding value to the original publishers. There is more reason than ever to buy a copy of the game, because it's no longer limited to old hardware or operating systems.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
fheroes2 is a complete rewrite of the game and editor in an open source, portable fashion. Yes, Heroes II works on Windows, but it doesn't work well - music can be glitchy, CD audio almost never works, the resolution is limited, etc. We're adding the abilities to play on any OS that supports SDL (ie. Windows, Linux, MacOS, and more!), plus supporting both 32 and 64 bit architectures, and allowing higher resolutions (1280x1024 and greater).

I saw originally that you questioned the legality of the project. I'm not a lawyer, but to my mind, since we're not distributing any original game content, all we're doing is adding value to the original publishers. There is more reason than ever to buy a copy of the game, because it's no longer limited to old hardware or operating systems.
Yeah I deleted my question about the legality once I did a little research and found out that Heroes II is abandonware :). Great news!

When you say that you are rewriting the code in an open source, portable fashion, does that mean it should be fairly straight forward to make an iPhone port as well? Since it's abandonware, you could make a free version and submit it to the App Store, which has attracted over 300 million downloads in the past 5 months...a great place to showcase your work.

jdm

Dec 9, 2008
Well, it would theoretically be as straightforward as porting any other SDL application to the iPhone. Currently, there's an SDL implementation for the iPhone in the SDL 1.3 repository, which is at an early preview quality. Then there's the whole matter of actually coverting the gameplay to be iPhone friendly, which is probably quite a bit more challenging.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't have any experience in video game coding (AI, graphics, 3d work, etc), but one thing I do have a knack for is the interface. (I have the iPhone itself to thank for that, really) If somebody can get the code working on the iPhone, I'd love to take a crack at making the interface work for touch control.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I don't have any experience in video game coding (AI, graphics, 3d work, etc), but one thing I do have a knack for is the interface. (I have the iPhone itself to thank for that, really) If somebody can get the code working on the iPhone, I'd love to take a crack at making the interface work for touch control.
Did you get a chance to play the game?

jim-ph

Jun 30, 2009
hello everyone, I'm Jim, the team-leader of the project "Palm Heroes". I will gladly answer your questions.

It's a all-original heroes project, everything developed from scratch, and we're porting it to iPhone now. We're hoping to keep it FREE when the game is ready, and thereforee began to collect donations for development:

http://www.iPhone.palmheroes.com

About the donation stuff: I know, a freeware with donations-beforehand sounds absurd at first. Let me put things clear: the final app will be FREE - no ads, no lite-versions, no locked levels. Just the game with over 100 maps to play. We don't want to spoil the gaming experience - the app will be absolute freeware. But to make this port we need to work hard on the code and spend a lot of time and effort on that. We just need something to get by...

Check out the game video:

I'll be posting here news on the development progress. If I miss anything, you can check out our forum thread devoted to the iPhone version:
http://www.palmheroes.com/viewforum.php?f=32

The iPhone donation page is here: http://iPhone.palmheroes.com/
Our team will be glad if you help. It is CRITICAL for the project development!

To moderators: you can copy this post to the top of the thread - all the info I provided here is accurate and up-to-date.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Wow man, this looks awesome. I don't think we can jailbreak the 3GS yet but once we can, I'm gonna check this out and if it's good I'll be donating for sure, thanks!

By the way, any chance of releasing this on the app store? A lot of our users are becoming more and more adverse to jailbreaking since it really slows the phone's response time down. As far as I understand, Heroes is now freeware so I don't see why you should run into any legal issues.

jim-ph

Jun 30, 2009
we will, once the port is complete.

jim-ph

Jun 30, 2009
about 50% through... would be nice to be able at least to buy test devices for the whole team...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Is there any way you could let us beta test what you've got so far using non-jailbroken phones? I know there's a way to manually load apps on without them being in the app store yet.

jim-ph

Jun 30, 2009
testing 'the Apple way' (adhoc) just DOES NOT WORK. We've re-built the code 11 times, and the app doesn't load up.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
testing 'the Apple way' (adhoc) just DOES NOT WORK. We've re-built the code 11 times, and the app doesn't load up.
Bummer. Plenty of us here at EIC would beta test it for you :)

jim-ph

Jun 30, 2009
I hate to say this, but if the donations go on the same way, we'll have to make the game $2. We already have debts.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I don't think anyone would mind paying $2 for it. Hell, I'd pay $10 or more if it worked well. I'd just really like to test it out before I donate to make sure it's the real deal, and I don't want to jailbreak.

My sister's got a jailbroken one, I'll get in touch with her.