Hey Computer Geeks! (Router Help Needed!)

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I have a Linksys router, I would say it's about 4 years old. When it work's, it works GREAT. But somedays, it gets veeerryy slllooowww, then disconnects. I then unplug ... plug it back in, and WALAH! It works great once again!

This is extremely annoying, what's going on and what do I need to do (buy) to get this baby streamlined?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would put the blame on your ISP before your router. Who you with?

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Comcast, But what about the fact that I can just reset the router and all is well again?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, your router could be going, but I've had issues like this with Comcast, and they've gone away after a while. How long has it been happening to you?

Is it hardwired and wifi stuff or just one or the other? How many devices are on your net? Have you tried hard resetting the router (press the little indented button on the back for about 20 seconds or so)?

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I'll Do a hard reset tomorrow. I usually have to unplug it everyday so that it'll keep working.

The router is hooked up to our main desktop PC, then there are 3 MacBook's in the house and a hardwire running to my x360.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So you notice the slowdown on all devices then?

Let us know how it goes after the reset.

AngusG

Feb 1, 2009
Australia
Alright... Instead of guessing what the problem is, do a bit of a trouble shooting and see if you can isolate it:

A hard reset won't do anything, there's not much that can go wrong with the firmware..

First step... Make sure you've got the latest firmware on your router.. If it keeps happening see if you can isolate the problem...

When it happens disconnect each computer, one at a time and retesting after each, in five minute intervals and see if it returns to full speed... If it does, leave that computer connected and shut down apps and services and see if you can isolate the problem..

Also see if there's any consistencies to when the problem occurs, IE, when sending large emails, or if it occurs at the same time each day, it could be scheduled maintenance on your ISP's end...

Let us know how you go

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Also, look for anything else in your house that may cause interference if they're on the same frequency. Plus, any electrical wiring/devices near or very close to your router.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Also, do you have security enabled? If not, turn off all the computers and see if your WiFi light is still going... because of the neighbors using your stuff for free :)

I left mine open for a long time, because I have so many test devices in my home office. Then one day I got a letter from Cablevision warning me that my IP was being used to send copyrighted material. It was the kids' computer next door. So I tightened down the screws after that.

I still have one old 2.4 GHz cordless phone that messes up my LinkSys each time I pick it up. Our microwave oven does the same.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Check the lights on the cable modem too. I have DSL and it sometimes goes down. I can tell it's not my computer or routers fault because one of the lights stops blinking.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
an easy way to eliminate the router is to plug one of your computers directly into your modem. If the problem still occurs, it's not your router.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a Linksys router, I would say it's about 4 years old. When it work's, it works GREAT. But somedays, it gets veeerryy slllooowww, then disconnects. I then unplug ... plug it back in, and WALAH! It works great once again!

This is extremely annoying, what's going on and what do I need to do (buy) to get this baby streamlined?
I also have an old Linksys wireless router, and the wireless signal is too weak! When I connect my iPhone at friends places, - with another router brand, the signal is full on my iPhone!?

Vilagen

Feb 7, 2009
yeah mines mega slow. got a new one and it works great again :]

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
The problem is just that linksys routers SUCK! Terrible quality and I always have problems with them. It's either airport or D-Link for me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The problem is just that linksys routers SUCK!
I swear I'm not trying to counter your every opinion today (although this is like the third time :p), but Linksys is pretty much the industry standard in routers. They have quite the reputation for reliability as far as I know and have experienced.

Although I have a Netgear at the moment, so there ya go...

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I swear I'm not trying to counter your every opinion today (although this is like the third time :p), but Linksys is pretty much the industry standard in routers. They have quite the reputation for reliability as far as I know and have experienced.

Although I have a Netgear at the moment, so there ya go...
Haha no worries. I know they are considered the standard. Thing is I've never had worse luck with a router than with the linksys ones that I have bought. And it doesn't seem to matter if it is at my house or a friends house. I've gotten people to convert over to D-Link and their problems go away. Just my luck I guess.