Hey Guys....

yanks0826

Feb 7, 2009
I am new to these boards...so I have a few questions....

I want to buy a iPod touch or a PDA, mainly for work related purposes. I would like to use some kind of office programs, but right now iPod touch does not have them.

Any way, if I buy on, I plan on jailbreaking it, so, my main question is, when you jailbreak, does that mean you can get the Apple apps for free too or just 3rd party apps? And where do I find 3rd party apps? Do they get downloaded in bundles, or can you pick and chose what you want?

Thanks guys!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You still have to pay for apps from the AppStore, unless of course they're already free. You can download other apps from Cydia once you're jailbroken. Keep in mind that even some of the apps available on Cydia are trial versions and may cost money to upgrade to the full version.

yanks0826

Feb 7, 2009
Well, that is stupid. If you jailbreak the iPod touch, apps should be free. Isn't that the purpose of "jailbreaking?"

Any way, is it even worth jailbreaking an iPod touch then?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, that is stupid. If you jailbreak the iPod touch, apps should be free. Isn't that the purpose of "jailbreaking?"

Any way, is it even worth jailbreaking an iPod touch then?
Have you done a search and looked up the definition of jailbreaking? It's not a magic wand to free everything. It's a method of accessing the iPhone's file system and accessing certains apps through Cydia. One big advantage of jailbreaking is the ability to install themes onto your iPhone. Also, the AppStore developers would probably appreciate a little income as reward for their work.

yanks0826

Feb 7, 2009
Well, after searching the Internet for quite some time, a lot of people were stating that jailbreaking is a way of getting free apps. I am in the market for a handheld device, either a PDA or iPod touch. I would like to use office software for creating/editing documents and such, but the way things look, the iPod touch can not provide that option. So I may have to get a palm.

But, after reading some information, a lot of people were stating that jailbreaking may provide that option in the future, if so, then maybe I will get the iPod touch instead.

Any way, I am still confused on what I want to buy.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
As Napoleon said, jailbreaking simply allows you system-level file access. Now, some people have taken this ability and used it to crack Appstore apps. Details on how to do this are not allowed to be discussed on this forum for obvious reasons.

If you're looking for ways to cheat developers out of well-deserved money, then this is not the place to get the info you desire. There's lots of info on how to jailbreak, though, so feel free to search the forum.