Hey! I just got my first iPhone 4

tomsanity

Nov 7, 2011
Hey! I just got my first iPhone4! However, after messing around with the phone, I came up with some questions and wondered if it could be answered here!

1.) If I am connected to Wi-Fi, will the 3G data be used? Or is the Wi-Fi prioritized first.

2.) Does using the youtube app. use data? Or, does it use Wi-Fi, if Wi-Fi is present.

3.) Does MMS use the data from the data plan, I have unlimited texting and heard that the data used for MMS is covered by that rather than the data plan itself.

4.) When I go over my data plan, will it restrict me from using data? Or will it just continue to allow me to use data and charge me as I go.

Thanks in advance!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hey! I just got my first iPhone4! However, after messing around with the phone, I came up with some questions and wondered if it could be answered here!

1.) If I am connected to Wi-Fi, will the 3G data be used? Or is the Wi-Fi prioritized first.

2.) Does using the youtube app. use data? Or, does it use Wi-Fi, if Wi-Fi is present.

3.) Does MMS use the data from the data plan, I have unlimited texting and heard that the data used for MMS is covered by that rather than the data plan itself.

4.) When I go over my data plan, will it restrict me from using data? Or will it just continue to allow me to use data and charge me as I go.

Thanks in advance!
Wi-Fi is prioritized first.

Uses WIFI if present.

MMS uses data

I have unlimited, but I think you get an email warning when you get close to your limit. Not 100% sure on that. Someone will chime in to clarify.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

Oct 3, 2009
MMS does not use data if you are sending using normal MMS. If you use iMessage then it uses data.

Proplayer44

Bronze
Sep 13, 2010

You need to ask your provider this question. Each one is different. Mine sends me an email at 75% but I can login to the website and turn that off. In fact I think mine was set to off by default and I needed to set it to on.

Thanks in advance!

Proplayer44

Bronze
Sep 13, 2010
My answer is there but I'm in the quotes so it's light grey, ooops.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
MMS does not use data if you are sending using normal MMS. If you use iMessage then it uses data.
(Slaps my head) I use iMessage so much now that I was thinking in those terms. So yes, MMS does not use data.

Oct 3, 2009
(Slaps my head) I use iMessage so much now that I was thinking in those terms. So yes, MMS does not use data.

yes. I never bothered with worrying about data usage until my wife got on a limited plan.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Just want to see how many people will look at my post and think, "where the hell is his post at ;)