Hi-Def music coming to the iTunes store?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Interesting, so sorta, kinda in response to Neil Young's recent project or no? I wonder if they'd offer upgrade pricing? Better yet, can I sign up to iTunes Match again and download all my stuff in HD?:p

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
David Pogue put Neil Young's little project to the test, and the results will not be music to Neil Young's ears:

"Whether wearing earbuds or expensive headphones, my test subjects usually thought that the iPhone playback sounded better than the Pono Player."

Furthermore, Mr. Pogue found that "Fourteen of my 15 participants said they would not spend $400 for a new player (not to mention buying all new songs) to attain that difference."

Why did Young get all the excellent testimonials that he got?

Mr. Pogue wondered the same thing himself. He wrote to the company and heard back from Young:
So I wrote to Pono — and heard back from Neil Young himself.

“Of approximately 100 top-seed artists who compared Pono to low resolution MP3s,” he wrote, “all of them heard and felt the Pono difference, rewarding to the human senses, and is what Pono thinks you deserve to hear.”

Aha — there’s a key phrase in there: low-resolution MP3s.
So there you have it. Young went out of his way to test his player against low-resolution .mp3 files.

Mr. Pogue explains everything in depth in his article.