Hi... I have a few questions

Saelito13

Jul 30, 2008
Well I pre-ordered my iPhone 3g last friday and I honestly can't wait... but I have a few questions ahead of time..

Is it possible to lock a certain section of the iPhone? Like password protect my text messages, emails, and pictures?

Is it true that for you to make your own ringtones for the iPhone, you need to buy the song off iTunes and then change it? Or can you just do it with any songs in your iTunes library?

How about AIM? When you are online on AIM in the iPhone 3g, does it say your on a mobile device?

Also, if the iPhone is synced with my iTunes, I can use it to buy apps directly from iTunes itself and they go straight to the iPhone?

Lastly, does the iPhone 3g have iTunes in it? So if i'm on the go i can purchase any song from iTunes?

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Welcome to EIC!
1. You cannot lock certain parts of the phone, but you can lock the entire phone with a password.

2. You can make your own ringtone without paying 2 bucks. Just use iTunes to make your own. Search the threads, it has already been answered.

3. Not too sure about AIM. I believe it doesn't say mobile, but I am not 100 percent sure.

4. Yes, you can buy apps from the store and then load them on your iPhone.

5. Yes, the 3g does have iTunes on it, and you may purchase any song from iTunes. It will load onto the library when you resync.

Once again, welcome!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
To supplement Aenti's answers:

- On AIM, you have the ability to change your status message in the app on your iPhone, so you can specify that you are on a mobile phone that way.
- There is an iTunes app on the iPhone (on all iPhones with firmware 1.1.3 and up, I believe), but it can only be used while you are connected to a wifi network, not on 3G or EDGE.

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Well I pre-ordered my iPhone 3g last friday and I honestly can't wait... but I have a few questions ahead of time..

Is it possible to lock a certain section of the iPhone? Like password protect my text messages, emails, and pictures?

Don't know about this one

Is it true that for you to make your own ringtones for the iPhone, you need to buy the song off iTunes and then change it? Or can you just do it with any songs in your iTunes library?

No you cna make a ringtone from any song you own...you just need to import that song into iTunes.......then you can use 30 seconds from that song as your ringtone.......there is documentation on this site how to do it

[FONT=&quot]I've put several custom ringtones on my iPhone 3G that were in no way purchased from iTunes. I am using a PC (not a MAC) and the new iPhone (3G/2.0). You don't need any special software... just iTunes 7.7 and you iPhone. Here's how you do it:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Listen to your MP3 and decide what part of the track you want as your ringtone (30 seconds maximum). Note the play time (for example, I would like to use 0:43 to 1:05 as my ringtone).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Right click on the MP3 in iTunes. Select "Get Info." Select the "Options" tab. Make sure the "Start Time" and "Stop Time" boxes are checked and enter the times you have selected for your ringtone. Click "OK."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Right click on the MP3 again, and select "Convert Selection to AAC." iTunes will create a second track with the same title.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Click and Drag the new track onto your desktop. Delete the track from iTunes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. On your desktop, right click on the track and select "Properties." If the filename has ".m4a" at the end, just change it to ".m4r", if it just has the track name, you will need to click "Cancel," open up "My Computer," select "Tools" and then "Folder Options." From there, you will select the "View" tab and uncheck the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types." Then go back to the beginning of this step and change ".m4a" to ".m4r"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Now the rest is simple. Back in iTunes, go to "File">"Add File to Library." Select the track from your desktop and click "Open." This will put the track in the Ringtones section of your library.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Go into the iPhone section of your iTunes and your newly created ringtone should be in the ringtones section ready to be synced! It will appear where the rest of the ringtones are in your phone.[/FONT]

How about AIM? When you are online on AIM in the iPhone 3g, does it say your on a mobile device?

Pairingo is free app that includes AIM and Yahoo meesenger and no it doesn't know if your on Mobile Phone or at your computer...uses your login

Also, if the iPhone is synced with my iTunes, I can use it to buy apps directly from iTunes itself and they go straight to the iPhone?

YES

Lastly, does the iPhone 3g have iTunes in it? So if i'm on the go i can purchase any song from iTunes?

YES
Hope this helps

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.
Hope this helps you out

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Well, you pretty much got it covered aenti, but a lil side on #5, you can only use iTunes when you're at a wifi hotspot.