Hidden iOS 8 features not mentioned

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chris, Jun 2, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Every year, Apple puts up a slide of features that aren't technically announced at WWDC. Here's a list of what I've found are the hidden features in iOS 8. I'm sure there are plenty more. If you find one, I'd love to hear about it in this thread.

ios-8-features.png

1. Battery Usage By App: Will let you see which apps are responsible for your battery usage. It will show over the last 24 hours and previous 7 days.
    2. DuckDuckGo support in Safari: They have added support for DuckDuckGo, a relatively new search engine.
    3. Travel time notifications
    4. 24 new dictation langauges
    5. See your books as a series in iBooks
    6. Multi-device support for MFi hearing aids
    7. Tips app: This was one of the rumored apps and is indeed coming soon. This will likely provide basic tips on how to use iOS 8. With the new spotlight feature, this may come in handy for new users struggling to figure out how a particular feature works.
    8. Lunar calendar support
    9. Time limits and countdown time for Guided Access
    10. Speak screen
    11. Camera timer
    12. Place cards in other apps
    13. FaceTime call waiting: As FaceTime becomes more and more a part of our lives, busy people need features like call waiting. iOS 8 brings call waiting to Face Time.
    14. Touch ID to exit from Guided Access: For iPhone 5s owners and those with Touch ID enabled devices, it should make it easier to exit Guided Access.
    15. Rich text editing in Notes: You’ll now the ability to customize your editing experience, change fonts and more in the Notes app.
    16. In case of Emergency card: Part of Apple’s Health initiative, this will provide pertinent information about your health condition in the case of an emergency. It’s a digital version of the paper card some folks would carry in their wallets.
    17. Improved zoom for accessibility
    18. Flyover city tours

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Here's 2 iOS 8 Pro Tips you may not know:
    1. Inserting photos in the Notes app. Long press on the text field to bring up the options bar. Tap "Insert Photo". Choose photo. Select "Done". Your photo is now in Notes.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411129584.781080.jpg

2. Rearranging the order of the bottom Safari options to suit your needs. Slide the options bar to the left and tap "More".
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411130833.697246.jpg

Rearrange the order of the options.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411130947.997416.jpg

Tap "Done".

3. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

The ability to nest folders that won't be reset when you sync with iTunes. Very handy to keep screen clean and not full of clutter

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I finally got that right. I have some 4 folders deep. I wish it possible to nest more than one in one folder. I don't know why they don't just make nesting an official feature.

5. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Most I have is 3 deep at the moment. How do you mean more than one in one folder?

6. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

I also love the tweak to iBooks where the paragraph is now justified. Looks much better reading on my iPhone now. Also love the background to the iBooks app. Beautiful.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have not used iBooks. I never had it on my screen until iOS 8 forced it on me. There's not many good free books. If I have to pay, I may as well go buy a book at a used book store. I find great paperbacks for 50 cents to $2.00.

8. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

I was the same until I started using it. Now no can have all my books on my devices anywhere and it's really great. I'm now a confirmed iBooks reader.

9. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

What do you mean in #3 "travel time notifications?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

How does one nest folders? And to be clear do you mean a folder with an app or apps inside another folder? Can the second folder have apps in it?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

A folder inside a folder. Like this:
    Here I have a Utilities folder inside my Productivity folder. Inside the Utilities folder is yet another one for Security.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411180014.045492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411180042.880009.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411180062.162718.jpg

12. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

Thank you. But how is it accomplished? Is there a setting that allows It? Is it a jailbreak thing?

13. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

Do you create the folder from scratch inside the other folder?

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

To nest a folder, you start with the folder you want nested. Make sure you have the apps in it you want. Then take 2 apps next to that folder and drag one on top of the other to create a folder. As soon as you drop, drag the nest folder over quickly and drop it in too.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can only have one nested folder per folder. But they can go several deep. It's like those mirror photos where you see the same image get smaller and smaller.

16. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Request Desktop Site in Safari.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411183742.245758.jpg

17. aknightstale41

Gold

A great find for me is that the local library has a large percentage of audiobooks that you normally buy from iTunes or Amazon for absolutely free to borrow. The same with e-books, a large percentage of the iBooks/ebooks/kindle books we buy are free at the library. An under used wealth of free resources.

18. aknightstale41

Gold

I tried this and lost a folder holding about 12 apps ..strange I can't find it now.

19. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

After I make the new folder with the two apps that folder opens up. There isn't time to drag the other folder into it.

20. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

Got it. 2nd times a charm. But when the folder is open I see the two apps and a folder with no icon, just its content. Background and icon are same color so the boundaries of thee nested folder don't show. When i close the folder and it shrinks to normal size only the icons in it show. The nested folder doesn't show until I open up the original folder again. Wow, I typed all that and it doesn't even make sense to me.