Hide apps but still spotlight them?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey all, I did a search but everything I found was from older OSs so...
Is there an app that allows you to hide an app but still allow you to launch it via spotlight? I know SBSettings allows you to hide apps, but once you hide it, you have to unhide the app in order to launch it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
pre 3.0, i used Poof... but i don't know if that's working with 3.0 yet.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
HIPPO! Yeah, I used to use poof also, I downloaded it just now to try it out again and it works to remove/hide the app. But when I attempt to search for it, I cant find it.

Id like to have the same functionality as the 11 home screen trick but without having 11 home screens. Personally I would hide almost all of my apps and launch everything from spotlight if I could. (by the way, is that what they are calling the search function on the iPhone?)

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
you might want to try SpotBright (located in System). That might work for what you're trying to do. The description say's hidden applications can be launched now.

Scratch that...i installed it, tried it and crashed my springboard to safe mode. So i uninstalled it and rebooted. Doesn't looks like it works with this version of Mobile Substrate on the 3GS. :(

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
you might want to try SpotBright (located in System). That might work for what you're trying to do. The description say's hidden applications can be launched now.

Scratch that...i installed it, tried it and crashed my springboard to safe mode. So i uninstalled it and rebooted. Doesn't looks like it works with this version of Mobile Substrate on the 3GS. :(
Damn cliffeman, don't break your sh*t on my account! :laugh2: Joking of course. Thanks for trying it out though.

I guess I can have 10 pages of blank icons but I hate all those page dots at the bottom! I guess Im anal that way. I like a minimalist iPhone. Just like my Mac, nothing is on the desktop, I get to everything from spotlight.

Im sure someone will get this working sooner or later.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Damn cliffeman, don't break your sh*t on my account! :laugh2: Joking of course. Thanks for trying it out though.

I guess I can have 10 pages of blank icons but I hate all those page dots at the bottom! I guess Im anal that way. I like a minimalist iPhone. Just like my Mac, nothing is on the desktop, I get to everything from spotlight.

Im sure someone will get this working sooner or later.
No worries. :D I figured I'd try it out to see if it was worth having. I saw it released the other day. So I'm sure there will be an update for it.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, SpotBright is a nice enhancement to Spotlight, modeled after Quickgold. Only problem is you can't open webclips once you've installed it. I hope this is fixed in the next upgrade.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Yeah, SpotBright is a nice enhancement to Spotlight, modeled after Quickgold. Only problem is you can't open webclips once you've installed it. I hope this is fixed in the next upgrade.
Ill have to look into SpotBright. Does it allow you to search for other content on the phone that isn't allowed by default? Thats one of my only complaints about spotlight on the iPhone. I should be able to launch anything from there, including settings! Just like on my Mac. I spotlight bluetooth and Im presented with the settings option. On the phone, this would make toggling settings so much easier!

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
SpotBright works pretty well. I've hidden tons of apps that I don't use too often just to make my UI look less full. One nice thing it does is create a miniature icon of frequently used apps that you can click on under spotlight. Been working fine for me for about a week. It is specifically for 3.0

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
They've fixed the webclip issue. Cool!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I think Ill have to check it out. I love the spotlight feature but it needs a lot of work.