High data usage !

Sep 9, 2010
Hi,
I've just got my iPhone 5 and within 4 days my data usage is 1.8gb !
I've use it for normal internet surfing and for the last 6 mths
with my iPhone 4 I hardly hit 2.0gb per month.
Anyone having the same issue and how to resolve it?
Many thanks

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Hi,
Many thanks
It's a new phone, you're probably using it more.

Sent using iCafe app

applejosh

Bronze
Oct 15, 2009
I know there was a bug (that may or may not have been fixed with the 6.0.2 update for the iP5) where streaming media would use cellular data instead of wifi, even if you were connected to wifi. (Since I don't have an iP5, I don't have all the specifics of the bug.) Additionally, Siri can use data if you use that a lot, and if you are in an LTE area, that can suck data like crazy without one being aware of it. A lot of users zipped through their allotted data quickly on LTE enabled devices because they were able to load web pages faster, download files, etc. You may only spend an hour surfing, but on LTE devices, you may have downloaded more pages, etc., in that hour because they are downloaded much more quickly.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
When I was with 02 pay as you go
I spend an extra £20 on top of my £10 top up just on Internet. It's a joke.
So I went on three (3) and I now have all you can eat data.
Is there no equivalent to this in the US?

Also on 02 it was only like 1GB of Internet for £15

Sent using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
My wife and I have had our iPhone 5's a week now and we've used .296 gigs

Sent using iCafe app
0.296 gigs--for both your wife and you--really isn't that much for a week's time... Assuming you continue using data at this rate, you'll have used 1.184 gigs for 4 weeks, and even if you round that up to 1.5 gigs for the whole month, that's a perfectly reasonable amount of data usage!

Are you on the 2 gig/month data plan? 'Cause if so, it seems like you're going to be okay.

UPDATE: My apologies, I didn't realize you weren't the OP... Carry on =)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hi,
Many thanks
There's a free app called Onavo Count that'll help you find out which of your apps is very data-hungry.

Here's the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onavo-count-data-usage-manager/id543547474?mt=8

Hope that helps!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I know there was a bug (that may or may not have been fixed with the 6.0.2 update for the iP5) where streaming media would use cellular data instead of wifi, even if you were connected to wifi. (Since I don't have an iP5, I don't have all the specifics of the bug.) Additionally, Siri can use data if you use that a lot, and if you are in an LTE area, that can suck data like crazy without one being aware of it. A lot of users zipped through their allotted data quickly on LTE enabled devices because they were able to load web pages faster, download files, etc. You may only spend an hour surfing, but on LTE devices, you may have downloaded more pages, etc., in that hour because they are downloaded much more quickly.
Some people with 6.0.2 are claiming, over on the Apple Support Communities, it hasn't been fixed even after 6.0.2. This was the case mentioned in post dated two days ago.

SlcPnk

Jan 2, 2013
We're on the 4 gig plan. We have wifi at home work and school so we will see how the first month goes

Sent using iCafe app

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
Verizon had to push an update and you power cycle the phone. I had mine done when it was 6.0.1 right after the 5 came out

Sent using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Also depends on which iPhone model you have. On the more recent models, especially the 5, they should be speedy enough that few things should make them lag perceptibly.