Higher resolution Pictures

pramod91

Nov 9, 2007
Is there a way to store higher resolution pictures on the iPhone. It looks fine when its 1:1 but when i zoom in on someones face its pixelated. I think iTunes optimizes/shrinks the resolution of the photos before syncing them to the iPhone. I'm sure its possible cause if you have the same hi rez photos on the web and you zoom in on them they are crystal clear.
Any thoughts?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Is there a way to store higher resolution pictures on the iPhone. It looks fine when its 1:1 but when i zoom in on someones face its pixelated. I think iTunes optimizes/shrinks the resolution of the photos before syncing them to the iPhone. I'm sure its possible cause if you have the same hi rez photos on the web and you zoom in on them they are crystal clear.
Any thoughts?
Not that I know of. Even though the camera itself takes 1200x1600 pics that can be retrieved that way on your computer, other folders will store pics at 640X480, however large they may be to start with. They can only be displayed and retrieved at that resolution. You can always "store" pics as large as you want if you use iPhone in disk mode (Macs, iPhonedrive) to transport them from a computer to another, but you can't display them in the iPhone.
By default, Safari can zoom a webpage at 25% of actual size and is able to display more than 640x480 pixels.

A way around the restriction is to put your pics online on a site that allows you to store and display your pics at high resolution. That's what I do on .mac. You can then zoom on them at 25% of their actual size with iPhone.

pramod91

Nov 9, 2007
A way around the restriction is to put your pics online on a site that allows you to store and display your pics at high resolution. That's what I do on .mac. You can then zoom on them at 25% of their actual size with iPhone.
Thats exactly what i've been doing, would be cool to somehow keep the images in the cache so you don't have to be connected to edge to view them.

Lucas7

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
Not that I know of. Even though the camera itself takes 1200x1600 pics that can be retrieved that way on your computer, other folders will store pics at 640X480, however large they may be to start with. They can only be displayed and retrieved at that resolution. You can always "store" pics as large as you want if you use iPhone in disk mode (Macs, iPhonedrive) to transport them from a computer to another, but you can't display them in the iPhone.
By default, Safari can zoom a webpage at 25% of actual size and is able to display more than 640x480 pixels.

thanks for the tip on this!

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
Thats exactly what i've been doing, would be cool to somehow keep the images in the cache so you don't have to be connected to edge to view them.
Yes you can do something like that.

Go to www.insanelygreattees.com and get the File Mark Maker. This droplet allows you to store files (including graphics) in the bookmarks. When you sync your bookmark, it will actually copy the data, eg a full size photo, to the iPhone which you can then view in Safari.

It works well. Easy on the Mac, but there is also perlscript help on that site for PC users.

pramod91

Nov 9, 2007

Go to www.insanelygreattees.com and get the File Mark Maker. This droplet allows you to store files (including graphics) in the bookmarks. When you sync your bookmark, it will actually copy the data, eg a full size photo, to the iPhone which you can then view in Safari.

It works well. Easy on the Mac, but there is also perlscript help on that site for PC users.
Thats a great alternative, thank you. But does anyone know how to do it on a PC? Also, is it just one image per bookmark or can you have like 10 images in one bookmark.

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
It seems to only make one link per file.
I've tried it with multiple files but with no luck.
If you find somebody with knowledge of running Perl Script in Windows they might be able to help get it going on your PC.

pramod91

Nov 9, 2007
i'm guessing you could fit all the photos in one file in photoshop, that would be one large file, don't know how it would handle that.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i'm guessing you could fit all the photos in one file in photoshop, that would be one large file, don't know how it would handle that.
Photoshop supports 300,000 x 300,000 pixels or 4,166 x 4,166 inches.
You can fit a LOT of pics in there. Not sure how iPhone would react to that.
Anyway, make a BIG new page in Photoshop or similar program, copy and paste several pics in it and save it as a single file. There is a limit to the overall picture size that Safari will open (a 134 MB pic opens as a blank).

I just loaded a 2,995 x 2195 pixel /72 pixel/inch pic. Here. Opens up nicely in the iPhone Safari and allows great zooming.

Last edited by a moderator:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

Be careful what file size you sync! Less than a few MB did well. Larger froze my MacPro and the phone both while it was syncing. There is a limit, apparently.
FileMarkMaker says that over 4000 pixel wide crashed them consistently and I should have read the warning before I tried it.

Mar 11, 2009
You guys owe me big time! Lol

So I figured it out, maybe you already have, but the way I did it was using Files (the lite and free version from the App store), haven't played with it much, but i was finally able to transfer some of my comics to my iPhone without losing the ability to read them when zoomed in thanks to that crappy optimzation from iTunes. I will keep playing with it a little bit more and if it goes well I will not post again. :D

Just get Files Lite from the app store. Open a new Finder window on your Mac (that's what I have, sorry windows users) go to the Go menu and click on Connect to server, type in the address that Files gives you when you open it on your iPhone, and you're all set, a new finder window will open which will reflect what you do on it on your iPhone.

Hope this helps all those users mad at iTunes for screwing up those high res pictures you'd like to see on that beautiful iPhone display.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Air Sharing supports large image files as well

Mar 11, 2009
So I figured it out, maybe you already have, but the way I did it was using Files (the lite and free version from the App store), haven't played with it much, but i was finally able to transfer some of my comics to my iPhone without losing the ability to read them when zoomed in thanks to that crappy optimzation from iTunes. I will keep playing with it a little bit more and if it goes well I will not post again. :D

Just get Files Lite from the app store. Open a new Finder window on your Mac (that's what I have, sorry windows users) go to the Go menu and click on Connect to server, type in the address that Files gives you when you open it on your iPhone, and you're all set, a new finder window will open which will reflect on your iPhone.

Hope this helps all those users mad at iTunes for screwing up those high res pictures you'd like to see on that beautiful iPhone display.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There is... I couldn't tell you what it is, but I remember reading about someone who found it.

sammyh

Sep 5, 2009
Here is another easy way to view high resolution images clearly:

1. To get the image into phone, either email it to yourself, or get it from a webpage. Touch and hold on the image and click Save. It will save to the default photo library. DO NOT use iTunes to sync the image, it will downsample the image to a blurry mess.

2. The default photo app will make the image blurry, so use an app like "Full-Res" from Big Air Software (as a disclaimer, it's my app) to view the image. It will be displayed at the full resolution with the ability to zoom all the way in to see the details and read the text.

I hope this helps...

-Sam

Dec 14, 2009
Best Solution

Well ...maybe the best, it worked for me. :)

I tried saving from webpages and the resolution still was dull. The following method that I discovered after hours upon hours of trial and error produces very impressive resolution. I needed this function to load big maps into my iPhone.

HOW TO LOAD HI RES PHOTOS IMAGES INTO iPhone

Convert your hi res image into a .png image file.
- Make sure your image is close to the shape of a square (iPhone does not handle long rectangular images well)

Move all photos out of Camera Roll in iPhone.
- this is where your hi-res images will be stored.
- delete directly on iPhone or move them as you would with any digital camera, plug iPhone to computer then ...Computer\YOUR_iPhone\Internal Storage\DCIM ...delete or move.

Now create thumbnails of the photos you want in your iPhone by loading the photo onto iPhone screen then hold power while pushing main menu button (the one with the white square on it).
- this takes a snapshot of your iPhone screen and saves it as png image in Camera Roll.

Download a program called DiskAid (enter Diskaid and iPhone in google)
-be very careful with this program as it allows you to change any file in iPhone, you will have to restore iPhone if you mess with important files.

Put your hires images in an empty folder.

Using DiskAid go to the iPhone directory media/DCIM/... and look in the folders for images that end with .PNG

Copy those images into the empty folder where your hires images are.

Set that folder so you can view your hires images along with the iPhone images.

copy the name of the iPhone image that corresponds to your hires image (remember the thumbnails creation) and give that name to your hires image.
- in the process you will of course have to rename the iPhone images imageBAk or whatever because you can't have two files with same name.
- you will be replacing the low-res image with your hi-res image so the thumbnail that iPhone created will now point to your hires image. (tricky huh?)

Delete the original images out of the iPhone folder where you found them. and load up your new images that have the same names as those you just deleted.

If .PNG extension on iPhone images was capitalized and your hi-res .png is not, then rename yours after loading them into iPhone ..right click ..rename.

It's HI-RES BABY!