HIPAA-compliant (secure) texting Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Rootntootn, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Hi. I'm a doctor in a rural area and my call group needs to get a secure form of texting for the iPhone or other pocket computerized devices. I looked into TigerText but it's really expensive. They usually want $10 a month per user and that really adds up when you have several members of a call group. Do any of you know of an app that is HIPAA secure compliant besides Tiger?

Sent using iCafe app

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Technically, iMessages is not HIPPA-compliant. To be in compliance, the company has to have a businesss agreement with the mobile providers. iMessages are encrypted over the air when they are sent, but there is no guarantee the carrier isn't reading or archiving the messages. Additionally, anyone could read the texts if they had access to the phone itself, for instance, if it was lost or stolen. There are ways to view this information on a computer even if a passcode lock is used.

I am not aware of any HIPAA-approved text messaging apps for personal phones that are in compliance by default without the complany having an agreement with them. TigerText claims to be, but the company would still need to have an agreement with them for that be true.

The key is to avoid using any patient identifiers if you are going to use your personal phone, but removing all patient identifiers defeats the purpose and can lead to obvious problems such as miscommunication and errors.

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

But I didn't think carriers can access iMessages because Apple stores data sent over iMessage and runs the service and encryption in-house.

Cortext is a free text messaging app that is HIPAA compliant. But it looks like your group has to be accepted. Wouldn't hurt to try.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cortext/id525559191?mt=8

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think Apple would be considered the carrier in that case.

6. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Thank you all for your help. Such draconian controls under HIPAA! And the punishments are incredible. Hmmm retirement?

I'll look into cortext. Thanks again!

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Let us know how it goes.

8. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Hi. The app from Cortext is excellent. Their company is very helpful and works with many medical professionals, apparently. I have already set up my office, the nurses and medical assistants, to be able to secure text with each other and with me. I'm meeting with my call group next week to set up a separate directory so that each one of us can securely text.

I really appreciate this Icafé forum: I don't know if I would've found this out without questioning you all. And you were very prompt in giving me good advice. Thanks again!

Sent using iCafe app

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Glad to read things worked out for you. :)

10. tikka

tikka New Member

I'm using iMessage.Give it a shot,I think it's a worthwhile app to try

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

iMessage isn't an 'app' & it is far from Hippa compliant

12. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Thanks for replying. We went with Cortext. It's worked well for us so far.

Sent using iCafe app