#HissingGate: Why are some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus units making hissing noises at their owners?

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by Rafagon, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

American podcaster Stephen Hackett noticed that his iPhone 7 Plus makes “terrible noises” when under heavy load. The issue has now been covered by several news outlets, including UK’s The Telegraph.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The iPhone 3G did the same thing.

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

It's really bad but only if you use a microphone to magnify the sound X 10,000,000

4. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I just got on here to see if there was something about this. I just left the AT&T store for a different reason but the guy told me about it when I told him I ordered the 7 plus. It's supposed to be here today but now he has me worried. Has anyone actually noticed this in day to day usage?

5. jlinn75

jlinn75 New Member

i got mine yesterday and I don't hear anything I got the iphone 7 plus 256gb black one

6. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

That makes me feel better. I kind of thought he was making a big deal out of it because I had told him I took my note 7 back and ordered the iPhone. I've always had iPhones but thought I would try android. I took my sister to swap her note out so when I told him that he told me it hisses. I asked how many and he said every one of them. I noticed he was using a android phone. Maybe that could be why....

7. jlinn75

jlinn75 New Member

This is my first iPhone since the 5s I've always had android ...I love how seamless iOS is but I have a note 5 for work so I can use both but starting to prefer iOS

8. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I have had androids in the past but always go back to iPhone. I just like how it doesn't freeze up all the time. Every note I've had in the past froze up and was glitchy. For some strange reason apps would just randomly pop up too.

9. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

I tried to replicate this with my iPhone 7 and I can't. Either that, or I'm deaf.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Not all iPhone exhibit this behavior. Mine doesn't.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Woofus

Woofus Member
    Silver

I held my iPhone 7 up to my ear and heard the ocean....it was quite pleasant. ;)

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They may not have dual-sourced the A10 Fusion like they did with last year’s A9, but it seems something may have been dual-sourced. Probably the folks with the “inferior” (and I use that term loosely; it’s probably just fine) component are the ones getting the hiss. But I’m just guessing here.

13. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Smart (y)
    You're a mini brainiac! This could definitely be the case.

14. Carly S.

Carly S. New Member

Lol, he was def trying to scare you into not getting an iPhone. I do have the hissing noise, unfortunately, on mine though. I can only hear it when I put the back of the phone directly to my ear but still .. not acceptable. I am going to exchange it at a later time bc I know ATT doesn't have any in stock for me to do a buyers remorse exchange. Sigh. I have used androids in the past as well (Note 2, 3, and 4) and I switched to iPhone once they made the screen bigger (6+ and 6s+). This year, I did try out the note. I was shocking excited about it as all of the features looked amazing. I got it on release day and within 3 days it was lagging and freezing (especially on group mms, what a nightmare). Needless to say I returned it, long before they had the blowing up issue lol. Anyway I'm very very happy with my 7+ but I will def be getting this particular one replaced once available. It hasn't affected anything with my usage, other than that the phone has been flawless!

Carly S.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I’m a brainiac? Thank you for that, my friend! XOXO

#15 Rafagon, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

She said mini brainiac. Figure it out. :D

17. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

Mine is doing the same thing as yours. I also have noise on my videos when I record. Not the hissing sound but like white noise. I figure I will wait a little while to exchange it.

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I wasn't trying to be mean.:eek: I meant he was able to rattle off that info with no problem off the top of his head. I guess I shouldn't have used the word mini in front of Brainiac, but it was a small informative paragraph that he was able to just spit out effortlessly. @Rafagon please don't be offended. It's all Love my dahlin'. :love:

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't deny that the hissing problem is real with some users, but I wonder how many are confusing the hiss with normal background noise that you get with video recordings.

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No worries. I took the phrase and ran with it. :D